Marvin Gaye.

trellis replied on 30/03/2024 08:37

Posted on 30/03/2024 08:37

For anyone who liked Marvin's music, there is a fascinating and exciting story emerging from Oostende of all places . The BBC have covered it on their news channel. Well worth a read .😀.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/03/2024 10:57

Posted on 30/03/2024 10:57

Ah, sharing through the Grapevine😁 Will have a read thanks Trellis👍 I watched a musical tribute to Diana Ross a couple of weeks ago, only an hour, but that was good. MG mentioned in that as well. You forget just how good the music was sometimes….. not sure of channel🤔

It was the Beeb…https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001xqzj

Bakers2 replied on 30/03/2024 20:19

Posted on 30/03/2024 20:19

Yes, I read about it and heard it on the Today programme R4 😉 this morning. 

Could be interesting going forward. I do hope it's resolved, I loved his music.

Just going to check out Iplayer for that programme Takethedogalong.

Wherenext replied on 31/03/2024 13:27

Posted on 31/03/2024 13:27

When I was in school in the late 60s/early 70s I used to hate anything that could remotely be ascribed as Motown. I lent more towards Heavy Metal or groups that at least had some good guitar riffs.

This aversion to Motown was mainly down to thoroughly disliking the cabal at school that worshipped Motown and would spend hours in the playground discussing the latest releases. However I had a particular liking to just 2 artists from that genre. Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Obviously there was no way I was letting on.wink

During the subsequent 50+ years I've developed a more widespread taste that can, thankfully, encompass all sorts of music. Still can't stand most Motown though.foot-in-mouthlaughing Still like Marvin. 👍

mickysf replied on 31/03/2024 21:06

Posted on 31/03/2024 21:06

My experience was different Wherenext, as a young child my uncle was an avid music listener. He had the most eclectic likes and collection of music from classical, Blue Grass and to that music from the Deep South. I was ‘subjected’ to the likes of Muddy Waters, Woodie Guthrie and Paul Robson. Then came Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Sam Cooke, and Ray Charles, all influenced by gospel music to some extent. Motown and Soul music, including Northern Soul, evolved from these influences and, for me, some of the most enjoyable music of our time was born. Like so many who came from such backgrounds, Marvin Gaye had a somewhat troubled life. Let’s hope this latest find has one or two gems amongst them.

By the way, I love watching shag dancing and that of the northern soul style which both share some evolutionary roots. But there again I was a Lambretta Boy!

DavidKlyne replied on 02/04/2024 21:36

Posted on 02/04/2024 21:36

I caught a bit on the news about this discovery and it seems he had a fine jazz voice. I suppose by the time Motown was a thing jazz, with a few exceptions, was not the thing, but its a shame as I think he would have made an impact on the jazz world?

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook