Sherwood

moulesy replied on 22/06/2022 19:02

Posted on 22/06/2022 19:02

Anybody else watching this rivettng series? Based (not sure how closely) on events during the 1980's miners' strike, it has a stellar cast, tremendous performances, especially from David Morrisey, Rob Glenister and Lesley Manville, you can't take your eyes off it (at least I can't!). Each episode ends on a real cliff-hanger. Two more episodes to go,  next Monday & Tuesday, if you haven't caught it yet it's well worth catching up on. Probably one of the best TV dramas this year so far.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/06/2022 22:08

Posted on 22/06/2022 22:08

It's been really good but we missed Tuesdays episode as we were away at an event, however we caught up with it this afternoon. I remember 1984 very well as I had to visit our Nottingham branch and I wasn't expecting to see so many police, everywhere!!! 

Hopefully all the pieces will fall into place next week in the last two episodes. Very good cast, including a short section of film of Arthur Scargill, I will leave others to judge whether he was right in what he said!!!

David

boza d and d replied on 23/06/2022 08:37

Posted on 23/06/2022 08:37

I totally agree brilliant drama , I live on the Derbyshire /Notts border so the programme has brought back many memories.

And yes the bad feelings still exist today in somw areas ..

Dave 

Tammygirl replied on 23/06/2022 20:49

Posted on 23/06/2022 20:49

Yes very good, my home town is Worksop. Grandad and Uncles were miners. 

Though we lived in Germany at the time this was all going on. I remember coming home on leave and driving through Manton, where the strikers were, to get to my aunts house.

As said its still a contentious subject especially around Worksop which has all 3 counties meeting in its boundaries.

Looking forward to next week. 

DavidKlyne replied on 29/06/2022 17:23

Posted on 29/06/2022 17:23

I really enjoyed the series and I thought the last episode was quite thought provoking. I think I had worked out who "Yeats" was in the episode before. The scene in the Miners Club I thought summed everything up perfectly? All the hate and suspicion for really nothing. 

What I don't quite understand is how there can be a second series?

David

moulesy replied on 29/06/2022 17:45

Posted on 29/06/2022 17:45

Yes, it certainly lived up to its billing. And the final episode drew all the various storylines to a satisfactory close (I thought).

David - I agree, it'll be difficult to make a second series,  though that seems to be the fashion these days.  I guess it'll be a completely different story centred around David Morrisey's detective. Though whether it'll have the same impact without the historic context remains to be seen.

Edit - "Yeats"? A bit of predictive text there, rather fitting given the way the "spy cop" was eventually identified! smile

Takethedogalong replied on 29/06/2022 18:08

Posted on 29/06/2022 18:08

I started watching this and was hooked immediately, got lots to catch up on at the moment, so please at the moment no spoilers😁

I lived and worked slap bang in the middle of the 1984 events, had uncles who worked at Silverwood. Saw the violence and heartbreaking scenes of families and communities absolutely torn apart first hand. Not the Miners Strike, but the Steel Strike which predated it in 1980, affected our family first hand, as my Dad was a Junior Manager at British Steel. He saw his whole life and the job he loved disappear. Luckily, he did get another job almost immediately. But in five years, my town’s two principal employers, who took on thousands of local folks, gone in months.. It changed our town forever, all the other businesses relying on the coal and steel workers also paid a huge price. Very sad in some ways, and hard for those who couldn’t move on. My Dad picketed the only works that stayed open during the strike, although there was nothing like the violence of the Miners Strike. He was proud to have contributed in the growth of his country after the Second World War, very sad at how it all ended up. 

Takethedogalong replied on 02/07/2022 10:46

Posted on 02/07/2022 10:46

Finished watching this excellent drama. Morrisey was very good, along with a good few other actors. Very thought provoking. Many of the families still have no real closure around the 1984 events. Some of the Miner’s Welfare Club’s are still around and thriving as community and event hubs around here. And there are a lot more memorials, often pit wheels, gracing some of the villages, floral tributes to a long gone age.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook