Shetland TV Drama

brue replied on 15/09/2022 15:14

Posted on 15/09/2022 15:14

Apologies if there was a previous thread (?) but I enjoyed the recent series...even though it's so far removed from the Anne Cleeves books that it's a whole different set of tales, especially the ending.  It took me ages to work out the characters in the TV series as some were far removed from the book plots, not sure which I prefer, possibly Perez does better in the final book?! I thought Doug Henshall was excellent as Perez even though the book Perez was different, if you get my drift. 

I had a smile at the car chase on Shetland's one "big" road. 

I wonder if it's better to read the books first or watch the TV programmes, I watched the TV series first.

Shetland is a lovely place to visit but it's a fair old journey to the far north. smile

ABM replied on 19/09/2022 18:30

Posted on 16/09/2022 22:00 by EmilysDad

... Grrrr,  A B M is a bit miffed at you lot yell  cos you didn't put lots and loads about Shetland  on this thread, so I missed all but the last two episodes which said episodes I found very good indeed !!  Sniffle Grouch Grrrrrr.

I'm sure it'll be on BBCi player πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Posted on 19/09/2022 18:30

Indeed they are, ED !!  Just watched Episode 1 of Series 7. Think my dinner's going cold  now  frown

KeefySher replied on 01/12/2022 19:30

Posted on 01/12/2022 19:30

We were late getting into watching Shetland on the telly, thoroughly enjoyed it.

In 2019 we watched the series and looked into going with the caravan, the ferry price put us off.

Around the Easter we booked a cruise with Cunard on Queen Victoria for her maiden voyage to Lerwick en route to Iceland, Scotland, Eire.

The week before Shetland was on every BBC TV programme with outside broadcasts, the cruise excursions filled up. Booked a cab for the day and went around a lot of the main island, the driver explained the locations used for filming, how externals and internals married up, the cop shop. Very interesting and entertaining.  There had been a murder the day before.

Fascinating place, stunning scenery. If ferry price is reasonable when we change back to MH, will look to go for longer.

Roll on the next series.

Tinwheeler replied on 01/12/2022 19:52

Posted on 01/12/2022 19:52

People do go to Shetland with caravans, KS, but it’s much more suited to a MH. We've done Orkney and Shetland twice with our MHs and didn’t find the ferry costs too bad.

The same applies to the Outer Hebrides - easier with a MH.

Hja replied on 01/12/2022 20:26

Posted on 01/12/2022 20:26

I read the books a while before the TV series.  I just try and block out the books and try to see the TV series as something different.  I do that with quite a lot of TV series of the books - otherwise it just annoys me that they aren't the books!

We've been to Orkney twice, once with a tent, once with a caravan.  We stayed in a cottage when we went to Shetland - partly because we weren't sure how bad the weather would be, and whether it would be suitable for caravanning.  If we went again we would not hesitate to take the van.  There is a lot to see, archaeology, wildlife, different islands.  The islands are easier to get around than Orkney, with short distance ferries.  Like all islands, it is a different world.

KeefySher replied on 03/12/2022 11:59

Posted on 01/12/2022 19:52 by Tinwheeler

People do go to Shetland with caravans, KS, but it’s much more suited to a MH. We've done Orkney and Shetland twice with our MHs and didn’t find the ferry costs too bad.

The same applies to the Outer Hebrides - easier with a MH.

Posted on 03/12/2022 11:59

The ferry for car + caravan was more than a cabin for 2 on the cruise at that time.

When we get the recently ordered MH will look into going to Shetland, and lots of other places.

We haven't gone over water by ferry, or chunnel with the caravan as we've been tied to school holidays in that period of ownership. 

When we previously had a MH we did lots over the water as it were.

Like life, things change, so we are looking at how to utilise the new MH given changes in them since we last bought one.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/12/2022 13:26

Posted on 03/12/2022 11:59 by KeefySher

The ferry for car + caravan was more than a cabin for 2 on the cruise at that time.

When we get the recently ordered MH will look into going to Shetland, and lots of other places.

We haven't gone over water by ferry, or chunnel with the caravan as we've been tied to school holidays in that period of ownership. 

When we previously had a MH we did lots over the water as it were.

Like life, things change, so we are looking at how to utilise the new MH given changes in them since we last bought one.

Posted on 03/12/2022 13:26

I recommend going for it with the Scottish islands when you get sorted, KS.πŸ‘πŸ»

KeefySher replied on 03/12/2022 18:22

Posted on 03/12/2022 13:26 by Tinwheeler

I recommend going for it with the Scottish islands when you get sorted, KS.πŸ‘πŸ»

Posted on 03/12/2022 18:22

Will take up your recommendation, thank you.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook