The Thief, His Wife and the Canoe

DavidKlyne replied on 20/04/2022 11:58

Posted on 20/04/2022 11:58

Anyone else watching this drama  staring Eddie Marsan and Monica Dolan as canoe man John Darwin and his beleaguered wife? I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it but as it has gone on I am quite enjoying it. Difficult to know how true to life it is but as a drama it seems to work. I am not sure whether to feel sorry for his wife, she was clearly manipulated but surely had many opportunities stop the ongoing fraud? Final episode tonight and a documentary the following night.

David

JillwithaJay replied on 22/04/2022 12:35

Posted on 22/04/2022 12:35

Edit:- I have just looked up the book, Out of my Depth, which was published in 2016, according to a note on Amazon Anne Darwin has not received any fees from the publication of the book.

Glad to hear that as, to me, it would be profiting from crime.  Do we know where any book sales money has gone?  Presumably David Leigh has made money out of it.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/04/2022 15:56

Posted on 22/04/2022 12:35 by JillwithaJay

Edit:- I have just looked up the book, Out of my Depth, which was published in 2016, according to a note on Amazon Anne Darwin has not received any fees from the publication of the book.

Glad to hear that as, to me, it would be profiting from crime.  Do we know where any book sales money has gone?  Presumably David Leigh has made money out of it.

Posted on 22/04/2022 15:56

Not for sure Jill although one of the reviews on Amazon mentions RNLI being a beneficiary, which when I read it I thought it was quite ironic! I can't confirm that is true either. I think David Leigh is the journalist that tracked her down in Panama? No doubt as a professional there would have been fees/royalties?  The book is available to read on a Kindle download and I think Margaret is going to download it as its not expensive.

David

brue replied on 23/04/2022 15:11

Posted on 23/04/2022 15:11

I read a few pages of the book via "look inside" on Amazon but it wasn't much of a read, very basic stuff. I also had a look at an old youtube clip, from itv, showing "AD" talking about the events. The more questions she was asked the less credible the answers became and I thought it was quite bizarre. frown

DavidKlyne replied on 26/04/2022 21:13

Posted on 26/04/2022 21:13

Margaret is currently working her way through the book and no doubt I will report back when she has finished. Just one thing to confirm. Anne Darwin received no fees or royalties from the book according to what Margaret has read in the book. What would have been her fees were divided between the RNLI and the RSPCA.

David

Bakers2 replied on 27/04/2022 08:37

Posted on 27/04/2022 08:37

Now we have the ability for catch up TV I thought I'd watch this having read the thread.

Sadly I haven't yet, couldn't find it on iplayer but did find and watch canoe man.. it refreshed my memory and I was surprised how long ago it was!

Has anyone else found it on iplayer?

Tinwheeler replied on 27/04/2022 09:06

Posted on 27/04/2022 08:37 by Bakers2

Now we have the ability for catch up TV I thought I'd watch this having read the thread.

Sadly I haven't yet, couldn't find it on iplayer but did find and watch canoe man.. it refreshed my memory and I was surprised how long ago it was!

Has anyone else found it on iplayer?

Posted on 27/04/2022 09:06

B2, it's not iPlayer but on ITV Hub.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/04/2022 09:40

Posted on 27/04/2022 09:40

Margaret has finished the book, she said it was an easy read. She got the impression that Anne Darwin was just frightened of being on her own and she was clearly scared that her husband would leave. She regretted what had happened especially the impact on her family. One fascinating element of the book was the detail of being in prison. Whilst she didn't like, obviously, being in prison she didn't appear to have too tough a time, although she did have some infamous fellow prisoners!!!.The person she seemed most grateful to was the journalist who found her in Panama, perhaps it offered her a way out?

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook