Top Gear go electric caravanning

RowenaBCAMC replied on 17/11/2021 16:28

Posted on 17/11/2021 16:28

Tune in to the latest Top Gear episode on Sunday (21st November at 8pm) where Freddie Flintoff, Paddy McGuiness and Chris Harris go touring in Northumberland and visit our Berwick Seaview Caravan and Motorhome Club campsite. The presenters each chose their favourite small, perfectly formed ‘micro-caravan’ to team with a state-of-the-art electric car, and set off for a peaceful getaway in the beautiful wilds of Northumberland. A peaceful getaway that somehow ended up including a Zorb-ball hillclimb… and a chilli-eating ‘hot lap’ challenge. Obviously!

Watch the show live on Sunday or on replay afterwards here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0011vp0

replied on 24/11/2021 14:37

Posted on 24/11/2021 13:14 by ADP1963

A.D I suggest the Ferry. wink

Posted on 24/11/2021 14:37

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DSB replied on 25/11/2021 09:24

Posted on 24/11/2021 11:08 by

What I want is something that  would take us and a 1500 kg van to the Mediterranean without stopping to charge it twice a day.  Well actually I dont because sometime before they are banned I am going to replace the diesel tug with another that will see us out.wink

Posted on 25/11/2021 09:24

I think we'll all just have to play it a bit by ear!! 

One problem could be that, as electric cars get more popular (assuming they will) and as diesel will be used less, deisel could well become more difficult to get (like LPG), or could increase in price making it less affordable....  We could get a technological breakthrough, making electric cars more viable in towing for long distances, or even a different type of 'green car' (hydrogen??).  Whichever way we go, I guess affordability will be an issue...

David

JVB66 replied on 25/11/2021 09:40

Posted on 25/11/2021 09:40

The rises in costs  will it seems affect us of a certain age, more than many younger of the population. 

OHs son cannot understand how we can live as we do on our pensions ? 

As I have posted before next year may well be our last doing as we do , it may even be before the end of the year ,with all that is happeningfrown

ChocolateTrees replied on 13/12/2021 11:53

Posted on 13/12/2021 11:53

Only just found this thread (late to the party). 

Top gear is a great entertainment show, but that is all it is. I was looking forward to the EV caravanning section as much as anyone, but it was never going to be sensible. 

I admire them for finding 3 ultra-lightweight vans to tow, but the Polestar has the lowest tow limit of the three (1500kg) and was still well under it's limit, so it wasn't about caravanning in its normal sense. 

If it had been a consumer program about real caravanning, it would have shown charging via hookup on site, and what you need to overcome (and therefor how the infrastructure could be quickly and easily improved) to charge with a 'van while towing. 

The chilli eating challenge was hilarious, and the best bit was the unshown drag race on the beach at Bamber Castle. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=584831002573135&ref=sharing

What really annoyed me was the "drive a car until it runs out of fuel" bit. What did they think would happen? A fleet of battery wielding angels show up born on bolts of electricty to recharge them? Utter rubbish. 

What they should have done was had a race to the end including a charge stop. Pick the right charger and they would have only needed a "volt and bolt" (Splash and dash), showing how easy (or not) it is to charge, and how fast you can add range when you battery is low. As little as 5 mins on a rapid for Flintoff would have take hime easily over the line. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook