Villages by the Sea

nelliethehooker replied on 07/12/2023 21:58

Posted on 07/12/2023 21:58

I don't know if anyone had discussed this series as the search facility on this forum is sadly lacking!

We have been watching these 4 series by archaeologist Ben Robinson on Iplayer, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Although we have visited most of those shown so far it is an eye opener with regard to things we have missed and has inspired us to revisit them. It certainly provides a grand insight into our past and would make a super tour!!

DavidKlyne replied on 16/12/2023 11:41

Posted on 13/12/2023 10:30 by Takethedogalong

It’s made us visit one or two places and look at them in a different way. I don’t think that the episodes on Bamburgh and Warkworth concentrated On the two most obvious features, the castles, but more on the actual villages close by. One we enjoyed was the Suffolk village built as a holiday resort for the well to do. We had a look around last year. Thorpeness. 

Posted on 16/12/2023 11:41

TDA

The one on Thorpeness was broadcast last night. Very interesting, can't see it getting planning permission now! Only thing missing was a little campsite.

David

nelliethehooker replied on 16/12/2023 20:16

Posted on 16/12/2023 11:41 by DavidKlyne

TDA

The one on Thorpeness was broadcast last night. Very interesting, can't see it getting planning permission now! Only thing missing was a little campsite.

David

Posted on 16/12/2023 20:16

Plenty of CLs not too far away, David. I think a caravan park on the village would completely spoil the place, as it is busy enough these days, and by it's very nature it isn't really holiday destination for the hoi polloi.wink

Takethedogalong replied on 19/12/2023 15:25

Posted on 16/12/2023 11:41 by DavidKlyne

TDA

David

Posted on 19/12/2023 15:25

I wondered if they were repeating some episodes. We visited out of curiosity really. It’s only the odd buildings that are of interest, and I suspect it gets very busy. We enjoyed a walk around (parked MH easily but it was October) but it’s not somewhere we would go back to see again I don’t think. Orford and Aldeburgh much more interesting in our opinion.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook