2020 The Year Everyone Went Back to the Kitchen

brue replied on 28/12/2020 21:53

Posted on 28/12/2020 21:53

I had to smile at this BBC Food item, 2020 Food Tweets. LINK 

I think this was the year when food took central stage, trying to food shop, trying to get on line orders, trying to find recipes for ageing bananas etc etc. Shops sold out of things, queues formed. My memorable food problems have been ordering mistakes and weird substitutions from supermarkets...the single curry snack pot that came in place of a proper curry, the huge ice cube pack that came when the delivery van refrigeration broke down,  (I did try to save it for summer drinks but it took up half the freezer!) Several times I had enough cucumbers to feed the neighbours, pressing the order button once too often.

I liked the Tweet about the large bag of carrots and the pillow sized bag of herbs, I've been there and got the medal for things I couldn't possibly have ordered (but I had...undecided)

We've had a bread thread on CT too as the bread makers came out to help quite a few of us.

I'm not sure how things will proceed in 2021 but I have enough dried beans to get through...I think. wink

How did it go for you? smile

Goldie146 replied on 30/12/2020 15:12

Posted on 30/12/2020 12:37 by Takethedogalong

Difficult if you need specific ingredients WN, only to find it has been raided as a substitute.

One of the reasons I have succeeded with online has been because I occasionally book a slot at 2,3,4am in the morning😂 Log in, pick a slot, click on a bottle of milk and some carrots, save. Got it down to 30 seconds now. Back into bed before it’s even cooled😁😂

Posted on 30/12/2020 15:12

If I book a slot with Asda I have to spend at least £40. So I have to click on Gin and Whisky. And remember to remove them when I do the real list.

Wherenext replied on 30/12/2020 16:23

Posted on 30/12/2020 15:12 by Goldie146

If I book a slot with Asda I have to spend at least £40. So I have to click on Gin and Whisky. And remember to remove them when I do the real list.

Posted on 30/12/2020 16:23

Ah, but do you always remember Goldie?smile

Takethedogalong replied on 30/12/2020 18:15

Posted on 30/12/2020 18:15

Love it!😂

I wish we had a Booths close enough to deliver, love some of their own ready meals, nice for a treat in motorhome.

Wherenext replied on 30/12/2020 18:26

Posted on 30/12/2020 18:26

We pop into a Booths when in the neighbourhood, like last year when at Keswick and Settle. Always excellent produce. We even found a couple of ready meals that I could have.

Wish we had one nearby.

brue replied on 30/12/2020 18:57

Posted on 30/12/2020 18:57

Same at Waitrose and that's a very handy hint Goldie, thank you!  They add on another delivery day per day for priority deliveries  but only two weeks ahead if that makes sense. I'm having to go for weekly slots at unearthly hours, I just grab what I see when I remember. We can't just pop into a supermarket here, our local community shop is a good standby but very limited and it can be quite miserable waiting in the rain whilst two shoppers are allowed in per visit. If anyone strikes up a conversation at the till a masked lynch party awaits them outside....laughing

I wish we had a Booths too, but if Booths ever expands it will probably never be as good.

DEBSC replied on 02/01/2021 16:53

Posted on 02/01/2021 16:53

I really wish we had a Booths nearby, love going to the one in Windermere when we are in the Lake District. I never click the substitute button for our click n collect from Tesco, too worried about what I might get sent. Usually works out quite well, except the time I ended up with 18 pints of milk! Just gave some to our daughter. I have never been fortunate enough to get a delivery slot. When it got a little better back in the summer I did shop in store, visiting Tesco at 3pm on a Sunday just before they close is fairly quiet, unless it's a rainy day, then busier. I find I dash around more, with list in hand, no browsing. Cooking hasn't  changed, we rarely have take away, not keen on fish and chips. I like to cook and enjoy the challenge of thinking up recipes to avoid any wastage. Hopefully all this has made more people think about cooking more often.

redface replied on 03/01/2021 17:53

Posted on 03/01/2021 17:53

I fully agree with the praise for Tescos.  Have used them for a weekly delivery since lockdown. On the odd occasion that they have had to substitute we have been delighted with a pricier, similar product but at the cheaper, original cost. Their drivers are happy to chat - suitably distanced and the overall experience is so good that we will keep using them after covid.

Hmm - BC, AD and now PC (post covid) a new time line suffix?

Takethedogalong replied on 04/01/2021 21:11

Posted on 04/01/2021 21:11

Never had an issue with Tesco substitutes, you don’t have to accept them, and seldom more than a couple if any. We have been Tesco online shopping since it first started years ago, although had a few years break when I finished work, had more time.

brue replied on 04/01/2021 21:17

Posted on 04/01/2021 21:17

I used to have Tesco deliveries when I was working, they were good. I couldn't get back into their delivery service during Covid and so I've settled for Waitrose.

I've just been sorting out one today with my neighbour, thank goodness we can get deliveries over the next few weeks!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook