Cooking in a Caravan: Share Your Best Recipes

RowenaBCAMC replied on 30/10/2023 14:39

Posted on 30/10/2023 14:39

I hope you're all enjoying your journeys, wherever they may be taking you. Today, I wanted to start a discussion that combines two great loves of mine - caravanning and cooking.

One of the things I love most about caravanning is those evenings when we've whipped up something truly delicious. There's nothing quite like cooking (and eating!) in the caravan or motorhome.

I invite you all to contribute to this thread by sharing your favourite recipes to cook in a caravan, motorhome or campervan. Whether it's a quick and easy breakfast, a hearty dinner, or a sweet treat for dessert, I'm sure we can all benefit from some new meal ideas.

Looking forward to discovering some delicious recipes and learning about your caravan and motorhome cooking adventures!

Safe travels and happy cooking!

Tammygirl replied on 17/12/2023 15:08

Posted on 17/12/2023 15:08

Whether we are away for a few days or 10 weeks I always cook. 

On long trips I tend to cook and freezer thing like curry, lasagne, chilli, bolognase etc. before going away. That way if we have a long days drive there is something home made ready in a jiff. I also cook a chicken and quarter it so its ready for a salad. Potato salad and coleslaw is always made and ready in the fridge. 

I don't like ping meals but I have on the odd occasion bought a nice curry from M&S and enjoyed it. I like cooking and don't find it a chore, the MH has a smallish oven/grill but its enough for the 2 of us I can easily cook a roast dinner in it. I also have a Remoska which lives in the MH. Its excellent for when we are abroad as it works fine on 6 amps. Its also good for all kinds of meals many can all be done in the one pot. 

I don't have recipe's for the MH I just cook as I would at home, toad in the hole, casseroles, stews, curries, stir fries, roasts etc can all be done easily. We do have a Cadac BBQ but its rarely we use it. 

Cartledge replied on 17/12/2023 22:54

Posted on 12/12/2023 09:33 by mickysf

Now that sounds delicious Cartledge and simple to make, must try it.

Here’s a similar Mexican dish, traditionally a breakfast but great for a supper. also cooks in the slow cooker. 

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/huevos-rancheros-beans/7WDKzQe3

We also enjoy an all day full English for supper too, on the very odd occasion.😉

Posted on 17/12/2023 22:54

So does yours Micky! Rick Stein did one, called Huevos Flamenco. Very similar. 

nelliethehooker replied on 04/02/2024 21:55

Posted on 04/02/2024 21:55

We tend to use the microwave quite a bit in the caravan, but unfortunately it has stopped working and we are waiting for a replacement, under warranty. We recently purchased an air fryer which we intend to take with us on our next trip. Does anyone have a good recipe or two that we could try in it while away in the caravan?

DEBSC replied on 07/02/2024 11:03

Posted on 04/02/2024 21:55 by nelliethehooker

We tend to use the microwave quite a bit in the caravan, but unfortunately it has stopped working and we are waiting for a replacement, under warranty. We recently purchased an air fryer which we intend to take with us on our next trip. Does anyone have a good recipe or two that we could try in it while away in the caravan?

Posted on 07/02/2024 11:03

I don’t have any recipes for the air fryer as such Nellie, we just use it in place of the cooker, in fact these days I tend to only use our big Rangemaster if all the family are coming for a roast. I find most things that are cooked in the oven are fine in the air fryer. I especially like new potatoes cut in half and roasted, so quick. I cook sausages, pies, chops and most other things in it. Casseroles etc are cooked in the slow cooker. Our son has purchased the silicone baskets and cooks a full English breakfast in his. All of this saves using the expensive gas bottles at our static van.

nelliethehooker replied on 08/02/2024 21:38

Posted on 08/02/2024 21:38

Thanks, Debs, will give the roast spuds a try. We've done chips, pork steaks, pies, chicken drumsticks, sausages and sausage rolls, and bacon & eggs so far. We do have one of the silicone baskets which make the cleaning of it easier.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook