Jam first or cream!!!

DSB replied on 15/08/2021 10:48

Posted on 15/08/2021 10:48

After our recent stay in Cornwall we've now moved to East Devon.  Our last Cornish Cream tea was at Healey's Cyder Farm..... yesterday we visited Budleigh Salterton, and whilst walking along the front came across a 'beach cafe' that also served cream teas.  We just couldn't resist.  I decided to try putting the cream on first and spreading the jam on top - the Devon way!  However, after having got in a bit of a mess with it, I reverted to the Cornish way - jam first with the cream on top.  To be honest  I find the Cornish way much more intuitive and less messy.

.......so which way do you prefer:  jam first with the cream on top (Cornish) or cream first with jam on top (Devonish).

David

DSB replied on 10/05/2023 09:14

Posted on 10/05/2023 09:14

Went out for (another) afternoon tea yesterday, just down the road at Sutton Wharf (Sutton Cheney).... our 'children' booked us in - a pre-birthday treat!!.  Apparently they've only just started to offer 'afternoon teas'.  It reminded me of this thread, so just had to send a few pictures.....

David

GEandGJE replied on 21/05/2023 11:11

Posted on 21/05/2023 11:11

I always put the cream on first, nice and thick, and make a little hollow in the cream in which the jam sits nicely and doesn't spill oner the sides. 

mickysf replied on 13/06/2023 16:15

Posted on 15/08/2021 10:48 by DSB

After our recent stay in Cornwall we've now moved to East Devon.  Our last Cornish Cream tea was at Healey's Cyder Farm..... yesterday we visited Budleigh Salterton, and whilst walking along the front came across a 'beach cafe' that also served cream teas.  We just couldn't resist.  I decided to try putting the cream on first and spreading the jam on top - the Devon way!  However, after having got in a bit of a mess with it, I reverted to the Cornish way - jam first with the cream on top.  To be honest  I find the Cornish way much more intuitive and less messy.

.......so which way do you prefer:  jam first with the cream on top (Cornish) or cream first with jam on top (Devonish).

David

Posted on 13/06/2023 16:15

If you turn a Devon prepared one upside down does it become a Cornish one? 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook