Microwaves

brue replied on 25/04/2018 15:39

Posted on 25/04/2018 15:39

Just reading through comments on the new glamping pods and their cooking equipment which includes a microwave got me thinking....

I returned to work about 34 years ago when our youngest of three was about six years old. With my first months wages I went out and bought a microwave. They were heralded as the saviour in the kitchen, microwave cookery books proliferated and I joined in with a variety of attempts at microwave cookery. Anaemic looking sponge cakes were my speciality. wink Since then I've always had one and also have one in the present motorhome.

My efforts have dwindled. Mostly now using it to heat up milk for coffee. Make porridge and heat the occasional ready meal. 

So what do you use yours for or do you happily manage without? smile

Wherenext replied on 14/05/2018 15:28

Posted on 14/05/2018 15:28

We have taken them out of our  previous caravans and used the space for an extra cupboard. However the new van has more cupboard space and Mrs WN does like the occasional porridge for lunch (never breakfast) and I admit to using it to finish off those pre cooked rice packages. Saves gas and time, although I did use to just add some boiling water to a small pan and give them 5 minutes.

At this moment in time it is being used to store a large Butterhead lettuce as fridge is full!

NevChap replied on 14/05/2018 15:45

Posted on 14/05/2018 15:45

We use ours in the caravan quite a lot. Jacket potatoes - microwave first then put into the oven or on BBQ to finish off cuts down on use of gas - rice (very good), some vegetables if only doing one lot otherwise use a steamer over the electric ring, softening the butter I've forgotten to take out of the fridge (!). Not a substitute for a conventional oven but useful nonetheless.

mickysf replied on 14/05/2018 16:07

Posted on 14/05/2018 16:07

At home we have a combination oven, Briliant! Use it for defrosting, baking, roasting, in fact everything a normal oven can do or a microwave. Can be used as a convection or a microwave and has may combination programmes. Also a god send as a second oven at Christmas or when family come to stay.

Had microwaves in vans  before but not in the latest. Keep searching for that very smallest one but they tend to be quiet expensive.

Flavia60 replied on 02/06/2022 19:30

Posted on 02/06/2022 19:30

I batch cook as it's only the 2 of us and find that the sistema range of boxes fabulous for meals for 2 managing 8 meals for the 2 of us fit in the ice box of fridge, they are reheated in the microwave. I make potatoes boulangerie in micro, then finish under the grill. At home i use Delias way to make rice but in caravan use sistema red rice cooker, which does not boil over and it is brilliant for pasta. I'm not a buyer of ready made meals and at home would bake in microwave as well but a bit much for a caravan. Vegetables work for me in a steamer, I think it depends how you manage at home but slow cookers and air fryers are not what I take in the caravan. I like experimenting plus it's a combination microwave.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook