Where to eat

Wherenext replied on 16/12/2016 20:02

Posted on 16/12/2016 20:02

Whilst we wait for the new forum to catch up with the Old Site's "Stickies" I thought I would start a new thread about where to eat when out and about. It could be when you are visiting sites or merely advice for anyone visiting your area.

Ironically this first post is not a recommendation for a specific place but a website that I came across yesterday when doing some research for eating establishments for a forthcoming visit to the Bath/Bristol area. I have a wheat intolerance bordering on allergy depending on the strength and amount of wheat in a product so I usually search out Gluten Free restaurants/ pubs if intending to eat out.

I came across a website set up, by a GF resident, called www.wutheringbites.co.uk which lists quite a number of places where GF food can be found in this area. So for those visiting the CC site at Bristol or the AS site at Chew Valley then check out this website if anyone has an allergy in your party. Once I've visited the area in January I might be able to recommend some specific places.

Francis replied on 02/08/2019 11:27

Posted on 02/08/2019 11:27

Just a couple of recommendations from us from our recent trip to the New Forest.

The Fishermans Haunt (near Ringwood) we went hear on a Sunday afternoon and ended up getting the Sunday roast dinner which was excellent. It was £14 each and you got a good sized portion the surroundings were very nice and they had a lovely beer garden too. Staff were also very helpful and polite well worth a visit for anyone in the area.

The Rising Sun (New Milton) More of a traditional family pub but still excellent. Very good value for money and the beer wasn't too expensive either also they have a play park out the back next to the beer garden so ideal for those with children, dogs are also welcome.

Both of these sites are within a short drive of the clubs New Forest Centenary site.

redface replied on 04/09/2019 20:39

Posted on 04/09/2019 20:39

Was pleased to see a reference to the Healthy Prep Kitchen in Morpeth, in this month's magazine.

Have been there and can heartily recommend it's Vegan dishes - even though I though I am not a veggie..

redface replied on 05/09/2019 23:03

Posted on 05/09/2019 23:03

Correction by MOH, they also do smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels.  Not vegan but healthy eating as the title suggests

Wherenext replied on 27/09/2019 19:29

Posted on 27/09/2019 19:29

Had some smashing Fish and Chips at Erics, situated between Thornham and Holme-next-the-Sea in North Norfolk.

Excellent GF and normal fare. They have a sit down cafe and a takeaway, open long hours. Also have a premises in Holt and one in St.Ives, Cambs.

Highly recommended, if a bit expensive.

Wherenext replied on 20/11/2019 19:41

Posted on 20/11/2019 19:41

Anyone in the Horwich or Bolton area could do worse than eat at Cafe Italia Bolton, Moss Bank Way.

It's open most of the day and would make a good coffee and Cannolo stop or a full meal. Their Pasta and Pizza dishes can be GF if required. Really friendly service.

InaD replied on 20/11/2019 21:34

Posted on 20/11/2019 21:34

Last Saturday we went out with family (BiL, SiL, niece and her OH).  BiL, SiL and niece are coeliac, and SiL also dairy free.  We went to the HIGH MOOR in Wrightington, near Wigan.  They have a separate GF menu and  the staff were very helpful with dairy free suggestions.  We all enjoyed it very much.

EmilysDad replied on 20/12/2019 12:58

Posted on 20/11/2019 21:34 by InaD

Last Saturday we went out with family (BiL, SiL, niece and her OH).  BiL, SiL and niece are coeliac, and SiL also dairy free.  We went to the HIGH MOOR in Wrightington, near Wigan.  They have a separate GF menu and  the staff were very helpful with dairy free suggestions.  We all enjoyed it very much.

Posted on 20/12/2019 12:58

Don't you have to go through immigration control to get in to Wigan 😉

Wherenext replied on 11/06/2021 19:37

Posted on 11/06/2021 19:37

Had a smashing meal at The Angel in Holmesfield not far from NTs Longshaw Estate.

Virtually all of the food is Gluten Free but don't think the quality is reduced because it isn't. Haven't enjoyed a pub lunch like this in ages. They do Light lunches for those with smaller appetites plus they also try to make as many dishes as they can Dairy Free. 

Reasonably priced when one considers how much GF and DF products cost.

We'll certainly call again when in the area (or even if having to drive out of our way!)

DSB replied on 04/12/2021 03:53

Posted on 04/12/2021 03:53

If anyone is near Abbots Bromley/ Burton on Trent area, it's worth a visit to High Ash Country Store for a hot drink and cake.  The on-site cafe is called Cobwebs and they serve the most wonderful home.ade cake.  We haven't been out there for a while now, but it is well worth a visit......  this thread has made me think a visit to Cobwebs is long overdue.  P..S there is also a gin supplier, butcher, and other small outlets on site.  Great for an afternoon's ride out....

High Ash Country Store/ Cobwebs: Goose Lane, WS15 3DF Abbots Bromley

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook