Where to eat

Wherenext replied on 16/12/2016 20:02

Posted on 16/12/2016 20:02

Whilst we wait for the new forum to catch up with the Old Site's "Stickies" I thought I would start a new thread about where to eat when out and about. It could be when you are visiting sites or merely advice for anyone visiting your area.

Ironically this first post is not a recommendation for a specific place but a website that I came across yesterday when doing some research for eating establishments for a forthcoming visit to the Bath/Bristol area. I have a wheat intolerance bordering on allergy depending on the strength and amount of wheat in a product so I usually search out Gluten Free restaurants/ pubs if intending to eat out.

I came across a website set up, by a GF resident, called www.wutheringbites.co.uk which lists quite a number of places where GF food can be found in this area. So for those visiting the CC site at Bristol or the AS site at Chew Valley then check out this website if anyone has an allergy in your party. Once I've visited the area in January I might be able to recommend some specific places.

eurortraveller replied on 07/12/2021 12:52

Posted on 07/12/2021 12:52

If any of you happen to be in Quimper next summer the Bar Iode will give you a good lunch. Even fish and chips, which is all the rage in France these days.

cyberyacht replied on 07/12/2021 14:44

Posted on 07/12/2021 14:44

On a month long trip, we might eat out perhaps three or four times but generally we, well actually OH, cook in the van. In my defence in these egalitarian times, my responsibilities are logistical planning, navigation and driving.

young thomas replied on 08/12/2021 17:37

Posted on 08/12/2021 17:37

When 'living' away in Europe we cycle all over and it's a treat to find a local hostelry and sample a bit of the local fare...incl the vin. 
as ET shows, we would then be eating far cheaper (and differently) than when we are touring at home..

We do cook in the van however, it is nice to call into a pub and have something nice for the journey back.

last week, we were in Brockenhurst and made use of last year's Christmas present from our son and partner...a three course dinner at The Pig....just the pre dinner drinks and wine cost more than we would normally spend on the whole meal....a nice threat though.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/12/2021 10:09

Posted on 08/12/2021 17:37 by young thomas

When 'living' away in Europe we cycle all over and it's a treat to find a local hostelry and sample a bit of the local fare...incl the vin. 
as ET shows, we would then be eating far cheaper (and differently) than when we are touring at home..

We do cook in the van however, it is nice to call into a pub and have something nice for the journey back.

last week, we were in Brockenhurst and made use of last year's Christmas present from our son and partner...a three course dinner at The Pig....just the pre dinner drinks and wine cost more than we would normally spend on the whole meal....a nice threat though.

Posted on 09/12/2021 10:09

My sister in law recently went to The Pig in Brockenhurst, she lives fairly near. I don't think they paid but when I looked at the menu I did think it was a bit over priced especially the wine! Might have to stick to the Snake Catcher next time we are in Brockenhurstwink

David

ADP1963 replied on 09/12/2021 14:01

Posted on 09/12/2021 14:01

We would have a cereal breakfast and a meal out every day except for a Saturday evening and that would be a Chinese Take Away. It was budgeted for in our holidays. On rare occasions we would have a Barbecue, as we both worked until we were 68 because we wanted to it was our treat. 

moulesy replied on 16/04/2022 18:08

Posted on 16/04/2022 18:08

For anyone staying at the club's Carnon Downs site (or nearby Carnon Wallos) or just visiting Trellisick, we always used to recommend The Punchbowl and Ladle at Penellewey. But it changed hands a couple of years ago and wasn't as good though it may have improved again now, so must give it another chance.

But just a little further down the A39, in the village of Devoran, is The Old Quay Inn which we visited for the first time today and will certainly return. The place was absolutely heaving absolutely heaving at lunchtime but we still managed to get served very quickly. Good beer and food and very dog friendly too. smile

https://www.theoldquayinn.co.uk/

brue replied on 26/08/2022 15:15

Posted on 26/08/2022 15:15

We had lunch today at a local farmshop, hadn't been for awhile and it's totally transformed itself into a food heaven whilst still surrounded by "rustic" appendages like sheds full of farming machinery and it's a busy farm. We had some very tasty food. Dog friendly. There's GF food available and it's an excellent stop off from the A303, very easy for cars & motorhomers. Rural Somerset at it's best! It's close to the turn for Crewkerne, accessed from both sides of the A303.

If you're interested here's a LINK to the Old Dairy Cafe, Bower Hinton nr Martock.

Wherenext replied on 10/07/2023 16:11

Posted on 10/07/2023 16:11

Couple of places to note following our recent stay near Ludlow.

We used to buy some nice food from Ludlow Farm Shop (on A49 just north of Ludlow exit) when in the area so stopped en route to our cottage to stock up and have a coffee. The experience was very disappointing. The coffee was the worst I've had in a long time and the deli no longer exists. The butchery does but we weren't interested in that. Cheese counter was ok but overall the impression was it isn't as good as it used to be and we wouldn't now make an effort to call in.

Better experience having a meal at The Maidenhead which lies on the B4361 near Orleton, about 2 miles off the A49. Might be useful to anyone staying at the AS Morris Leisure site or any of the local CLs in the area. Excellent food and they also catered well for my GF requirements, even having a locally produced Bitter from Hobsons. 

Wherenext replied on 21/08/2023 19:17

Posted on 21/08/2023 19:17

If anyone visiting Coventry for any particular reason I can recommend The Golden Lion situated near the Cathedral. AC16th. pub, laid back, good local beers on tap and ALL the food is Gluten Free. Plenty of Dairy Free available as well. 

A few diners in there didn't need GF but pronounced themselves well satisfied.

We enjoyed our meals.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook