Wild Game

Fisherman replied on 08/03/2018 09:31

Posted on 08/03/2018 09:31

Musing here in the snow. Just opened a packet of Venison Sausage from M & S, surprised to see they are made from New Zealand Venison. With an abundance of game (Deer are now considered a pest in many parts of the UK) available at remarkably low prices. I get pheasants in the feather for £1 a brace and Partridge and Ducks for £1-50. Just a little work and excellent food for the freezer. They must be better, healthier and more eco friendly than supermarket chickens . If a bit squeamish pheasants are readily available oven ready in farm shops for about the same price as chickens. So I wonder o myself why we don't make more use of this plentiful supply. Any answers? Surprisingly everyone wants the trout I catch, provided cleaned. yet these are stocked Rainbows reared like intensive chickens.

mickysf replied on 12/03/2018 23:34

Posted on 08/03/2018 09:31 by Fisherman

Musing here in the snow. Just opened a packet of Venison Sausage from M & S, surprised to see they are made from New Zealand Venison. With an abundance of game (Deer are now considered a pest in many parts of the UK) available at remarkably low prices. I get pheasants in the feather for £1 a brace and Partridge and Ducks for £1-50. Just a little work and excellent food for the freezer. They must be better, healthier and more eco friendly than supermarket chickens . If a bit squeamish pheasants are readily available oven ready in farm shops for about the same price as chickens. So I wonder o myself why we don't make more use of this plentiful supply. Any answers? Surprisingly everyone wants the trout I catch, provided cleaned. yet these are stocked Rainbows reared like intensive chickens.

Posted on 12/03/2018 23:34

For the masses rabbit started to fall out of fashion around the 60s for a variety of reasons. Today I enjoy rabbit but only when on the menu at a restaurant. This I regularly see on menus abroad but very rarely indeed at home. Silly really as its a meat which my parents and their generation 'purchased' and ate regularly. However, that may be one contributory reason for its demise as a British ingredient in our every day cooking, it was considered common. The other reason may be the 'bunny factor' (like that bambi factor with venison) and that awful deliberately introduced disease which was designed to keep their ever growing numbers down.

Clean and health rabbit is out there, could once again be  abundant in shops, cheap and delicious, we just don't want to eat it.

Oneputt replied on 13/03/2018 09:26

Posted on 13/03/2018 09:26

I don't mind pheasant & partridge, as they are bred in their hundreds of thousands for the gun.  I do draw the line at wild fowl cos I'm sure a lot of shooters can't tell the difference between Mallards and Cranes.    

replied on 13/03/2018 09:36

Posted on 13/03/2018 09:36

I personally think that it was myxomatosis that killed the taste for rabbit.  

Fisherman replied on 13/03/2018 14:45

Posted on 13/03/2018 14:45

Myxy long gone. Do you still not eat eggs because of Salmonella, Beef for CJd, Pork for Swine Fever. Avian Flu last winter  etc.etc.These are long past problems.

replied on 13/03/2018 15:05

Posted on 13/03/2018 15:05

I agree that myxomatosis has all but gone as there is a high degree of immunity among the wild population. I have not personally cooked rabbit for over 30 years as it is not readily available locally. 

The effects of myxomatosis I believe are still there with regard to public perception towards diet. 

I have never avoided the other available products

mickysf replied on 14/03/2018 01:37

Posted on 13/03/2018 09:26 by Oneputt

I don't mind pheasant & partridge, as they are bred in their hundreds of thousands for the gun.  I do draw the line at wild fowl cos I'm sure a lot of shooters can't tell the difference between Mallards and Cranes.    

Posted on 14/03/2018 01:37

I will eat captive bred and raised 'game' but am not an advocate of wild game shot in the outdoor wild environments. This indescriminate spread of toxic lead across many wlldlife areas is detrimentally effecting the health of and killing more birds and animals than are being cleanly shot. This should, in my opinion, be stopped immediately.

mickysf replied on 18/03/2018 20:15

Posted on 18/03/2018 20:15

Interestingly, or sadly maybe, we hear today that lamb and mutton has fallen out of favour with the British palate much like rabbit did in he 50s and 60s. The farmers raising 'sheep meat' really are suffering with market demand and the future is looking bleak, or should that be bleat!frown Apparently we Brits just don't enjoy lamb like we used to!

ABM replied on 18/03/2018 22:37

Posted on 14/03/2018 01:37 by mickysf

I will eat captive bred and raised 'game' but am not an advocate of wild game shot in the outdoor wild environments. This indescriminate spread of toxic lead across many wlldlife areas is detrimentally effecting the health of and killing more birds and animals than are being cleanly shot. This should, in my opinion, be stopped immediately.

Posted on 18/03/2018 22:37

Some  of  the  shooting  brigade, but  by  no  means  all,  have  fought  the  imposition  of  "Non  Lead"  shot  all  the  way,  even  tho'  it  is permitted  in  certain  areas  and  on  certain  targets.

However  even  if  the  use  of  lead  was  totally  banned  today,  the  amount  of  lead  already  lying  out  there  would  still  cause  many  slow  deaths  in  wildlife.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook