Wine!

DSB replied on 03/07/2017 22:56

Posted on 03/07/2017 22:56

I know there are several wine lovers on here, so I thought it might be a good idea to have a place to discuss and share each others favourite tipple.

A wine I have recently taken to is Barefoot Merlot.  A Californian wine, full bodied wine with a blueberry and plumb flavour.  Really worth a try.  We get it from the Co-op at a little less than £7 a bottle.

David 

brue replied on 29/04/2021 14:08

Posted on 29/04/2021 14:08

We took a bottle of Waitrose English white wine away with us recently, £9.99 it was similar to a Sauvignon, nice drink. Next time we'll try a bottle of Bacchus from the Wraxall vineyard near Shepton Mallet, (not far from where we live) gradually working our way through UK products. So far all have been good. smile

DSB replied on 01/05/2021 22:58

Posted on 01/05/2021 22:58

Ordered 6 bottles of Barefoot Merlot with some other bits and pieces, to pick up today from Sainsbury's Click and Collect. 25% off for purchasing 6 bottles, so needed to do it before the offer finishes tomorrow.

David

DSB replied on 22/06/2021 22:36

Posted on 22/06/2021 22:36

Well, I've not seen it before today, but I have been given some letterbox wine to try.  It comes in a 'flat plastic bottle' and is designed to fit through a letterbox.  Haven't opened it yet.... not optimistic, but hope I'm proved wrong.

Anyone else tried it?  Any feedback?  I'll let you know how it goes when I've got the courage to open it.....

David 

vbfg replied on 23/06/2021 06:22

Posted on 22/06/2021 22:36 by DSB

Well, I've not seen it before today, but I have been given some letterbox wine to try.  It comes in a 'flat plastic bottle' and is designed to fit through a letterbox.  Haven't opened it yet.... not optimistic, but hope I'm proved wrong.

Anyone else tried it?  Any feedback?  I'll let you know how it goes when I've got the courage to open it.....

David 

Posted on 23/06/2021 06:22

Come on David, pluck up the courage as I would like to hear your verdict!  I tried looking for reviews on the internet but couldn't find any, although other people may have more luck. It appears to be very expensive as apparently the bottles only contain the same amount as normal bottles.  I am definitely NOT a wine connoisseur and buy wine mostly from Aldi and Lidl, however, I would say avoid Tescos as even their "finest" wine is dire!

DSB replied on 23/06/2021 08:26

Posted on 23/06/2021 06:22 by vbfg

Come on David, pluck up the courage as I would like to hear your verdict!  I tried looking for reviews on the internet but couldn't find any, although other people may have more luck. It appears to be very expensive as apparently the bottles only contain the same amount as normal bottles.  I am definitely NOT a wine connoisseur and buy wine mostly from Aldi and Lidl, however, I would say avoid Tescos as even their "finest" wine is dire!

Posted on 23/06/2021 08:26

Friday may be 'the night vbfg...so watch this space... 😃😃  It is a Shiraz and I am more of a Merlot person, do hope that doesn't colour my judgement.... 

David

EllyGarcon replied on 23/06/2021 15:06

Posted on 22/06/2021 22:36 by DSB

David 

Posted on 23/06/2021 15:06

Hi David, I work for the company that makes these bottles! (more info at www.garconwines.com). Letterbox Wine is a small subset of what we do, but I'm amazed you got your hands on this Dadirri brand as it hasn't been produced since 2018. Would love to know where you got it from? 

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed if you open this as the wine will most likely have oxidised. Our bottles are not suitable for bottle aging - they're made from 100% recycled PET, a lower carbon footprint material, but one which only has a moderate barrier to oxygen. We use a barrier technology to give a shelf-life of between 12-18 months, which is ideal for everyday drinking wines (by far the majority consumed across the world.) Usually most people who enjoy our bottles drink the wine within this timeframe. 

More than happy to send you a new bottle (of a different wine) to replace it! If you want to take us up on this, our details are found on the website above. We're glad you see how beneficial they are for saving-space and enjoying in caravans laughing

- Elly

ABM replied on 26/06/2021 15:43

Posted on 26/06/2021 15:43

Get them checked  out thoroughly, David . You will need to know all about them before 12th ~~ 17th  October @ N E C !!

Wine & cheese parties on the NEC car parks  ooooo yes pulleeese wink

DSB replied on 30/06/2021 08:30

Posted on 23/06/2021 15:06 by EllyGarcon

Hi David, I work for the company that makes these bottles! (more info at www.garconwines.com). Letterbox Wine is a small subset of what we do, but I'm amazed you got your hands on this Dadirri brand as it hasn't been produced since 2018. Would love to know where you got it from? 

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed if you open this as the wine will most likely have oxidised. Our bottles are not suitable for bottle aging - they're made from 100% recycled PET, a lower carbon footprint material, but one which only has a moderate barrier to oxygen. We use a barrier technology to give a shelf-life of between 12-18 months, which is ideal for everyday drinking wines (by far the majority consumed across the world.) Usually most people who enjoy our bottles drink the wine within this timeframe. 

More than happy to send you a new bottle (of a different wine) to replace it! If you want to take us up on this, our details are found on the website above. We're glad you see how beneficial they are for saving-space and enjoying in caravans laughing

- Elly

Posted on 30/06/2021 08:30

Hi Elly.  Thanks for that.  Great to read your post, the story and your link to the company.  I got the post box wine from my daughter-in-law.  I think she had them left over at work....  They look like 'sample bottles' to be honest as the label on the other side was very plain and non-descript.  

I did open a bottle.  It wasn't  'amazing' but it was quite surprisingly drinkable.  I wasn't expecting much for an older 'freebee' in a PET bottle,  and talking of red wine, I'm not such a fan of Shiraz, generally preferring a Merlot.  I've got another couple to open, so I'll let you know what those are like.

All good wishes,

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook