Any Physicists Out There?

JohnM20 replied on 08/07/2022 11:05

Posted on 08/07/2022 11:05

Here's a non-caravanning question that has got me puzzled. Why is it that our bathroom scales, when used on the soft bedroom carpet show a figure 2kg higher than when we use them on the hard bathroom floor? I would have expected it to be the other way round with the carpet pile absorbing some of the weight that would otherwise be taken fully by the scales. The other question, of course, is which figure do I believe, or want to believe?

cyberyacht replied on 09/07/2022 08:16

Posted on 09/07/2022 08:16

I have found the same. However, unless the scales have been calibrated, it merely serves to tell you whether your weight is rising or falling. Unfortunately mine are displaying the reluctance of a month's worth of croissants and pain au raisins whilst in France to dissipate despite my abstemious regime since returning home. It does not augur well for my next trip away and the occasional full English.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 09/07/2022 08:37

Posted on 09/07/2022 08:37

Fulcrums-the carpet supports the base of the scales which in turn stops the internal base bending followed by the measuring system impeding the system set up. I’m no physicist but I’ve come across the question before. It defies our logic but as a cop out-‘that’s Physics’🀷🏻‍♂️
If in doubt Google itπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Š

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook