Current scams

redface replied on 28/07/2020 20:21

Posted on 28/07/2020 20:21

Received an email from a friend where he was apparently having difficulties with his E Bay account and he would appreciate me sending an E Bay voucher for £50 to his niece, giving her details, and he would reimburse me from his bank account.

So I said to him (he was sitting comfortably in a chair in my garden) - really?

Needless to say he didn't even have a niece and was surprised to learn that his contacts had been hacked.#

Upshot was that he then emailed all his contacts to advise them of the fraud.

Are there any other frauds circulating at present that we ought to be aware of?

DavidKlyne replied on 06/04/2021 20:55

Posted on 06/04/2021 10:57 by SteveL

There was a report on the local news this morning about an 80+ year old who was robbed of his £80,000 life savings, after allowing remote access to his computer. Apparently they got into his online banking and transferred the money out. The trouble with these sort of reports is that they are always very thin on detail. Either there is a significant hole in internet bank security, or if my banking is anything to go by, he must have given them a lot more than remote access.

If I want to make a payment to a third party account, after inputting user codes / password and entering the code sent to my mobile, I am into the account. To set up a third party payment a code is then required from a pin sentry device into which I have to insert my bank card and enter my card pin. Even after that only £1000 can be transferred on the first day and then a maximum of 20K a day thereafter. So it would have taken 5 days to get his savings.

I find all these security hurdles very comforting and assumed that even if someone managed to access my account by some nefarious means, it would still be impossible to transfer anything out. That this might be possible is somewhat worrying.

Posted on 06/04/2021 20:55

Like you Steve I am starting to wonder whether banks want you to us internet banking!!! Every payment I make you seem to have to jump through hoops. Now if you use your mobile phone there seems to be a lot less hassle. 

I suppose a person who has accepted that the person on the other end of the phone is genuine will also be inclined to hand over a lot more details. The irony is that someone defrauded in that way is unlikely to get their money back but if the bank went bankrupt the Government would step in and support any loss up to a certain amount.

David

Whittakerr replied on 15/04/2021 15:53

Posted on 15/04/2021 15:53

i have just received a text message as follows

HSBC ALERT: A new payee request for MR G LONG has just been made on your account. if this was NOT by you visit: 

And then a link was provided.

I don't have an account with HSBC and obviously didn't click on the link. I reported it to my bank and forwarded the text to 7726 which is the number for Action Fraud, the National Fraud & Cyber Crime Reporting Centre.

Take care out there!

redface replied on 25/08/2021 23:10

Posted on 25/08/2021 23:10

Here's another one - Paying for goods in a shop (Lidl) cashier suggests we can save money by signing up to a discount card. Lovely  - lets have some!

What she did not tell us was the £15 a month subscription

It is rather sharp practice of the promoter (Complete savings. co .uk) to bury that fact well down in their small print - presumably to take advantage of the well known fact that few people read the small print.

So much for loyalty cards eh?

nelliethehooker replied on 26/08/2021 22:00

Posted on 25/08/2021 23:10 by redface

Here's another one - Paying for goods in a shop (Lidl) cashier suggests we can save money by signing up to a discount card. Lovely  - lets have some!

It is rather sharp practice of the promoter (Complete savings. co .uk) to bury that fact well down in their small print - presumably to take advantage of the well known fact that few people read the small print.

Posted on 26/08/2021 22:00

Glad that I didn't bother, as our Lidl store closed, so we only occasionally use one when away  in terms caravan.

JohnM20 replied on 27/08/2021 08:56

Posted on 27/08/2021 08:56

We leave our answerphone on permanently. If we recognise an incoming number we'll answer the phone. If it's not recognised we let the answerphone kick in which invites the caller to leave a message and we'll get back to them They never leave a message, which I'm sure they would if it was an important  and / or genuine call.

SeasideBill replied on 27/08/2021 10:20

Posted on 27/08/2021 10:20

Some are remarkably persistent. I reckon my McAfee account (which I’ve never had) has been about to expire now on most days for the past 2 years or so. My email provider kindly directs it straight to junk, but I do take the occasional look as some genuine stuff has ended up there.

InaD replied on 27/08/2021 18:01

Posted on 25/08/2021 23:10 by redface

Posted on 27/08/2021 18:01

I don't have the Lidl Plus app myself as I don't use Lidl often enough, but I'm sure it's free, at least according to THIS

Is Lidl Plus free?
Yes, Lidl Plus is completely free and just requires you to download the app and sign up!

And also Which? have an article.

triky auto replied on 03/09/2021 22:12

Posted on 03/09/2021 22:12

yell There is now a scam involving the " Royal Mail" 

Send us your payment details for a parcel destined for you ,that's under paid for  !! surprised.

redface replied on 08/09/2021 22:41

Posted on 08/09/2021 22:41

I believe that the 'complete savings .co' that I mentioned has been the subject of a very vociferous forum (now closed.) on the Martin Lewis website 

It seems that they are now investigating it.

PS I got my money back and the account was closed without any difficulty. So perhaps it is a case of mis-selling?

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook