Facebook Marketplace

DavidKlyne replied on 06/04/2023 09:11

Posted on 06/04/2023 09:11

I have never used this so can anyone who does use it give me the heads up on how it works.  I have used Ebay quite a bit in the past but it can be a pain arranging deliveries and payment etc and also not so good for selling low cost items. It seems that Marketplace can deal with a more local area? Do you pay any fees and how do buyers pay? Just trying to work out whether its worth selling or dumping!

Thanks

David

Goldie146 replied on 06/04/2023 09:25

Posted on 06/04/2023 09:25

We've used it as a buyer. (Adjustable recliner chair). Replied to a post asking if it was still available, then arranged a time to collect. We paid in cash after a bit of negotiation. I don't know how it works if the items are not local. No fees - just a transaction between seller and buyer.

brue replied on 06/04/2023 09:41

Posted on 06/04/2023 09:41

Our family use it for local sales and purchases, usually furniture bargains. It seems to work well although our eldest has said there can be problem purchasers who want to haggle aggressively ( instead of a bit of polite bargaining on the doorstep.) I think you just have to be prepared!

Bakers2 replied on 06/04/2023 10:35

Posted on 06/04/2023 10:35

I've used it. No fees, no issues 🤞. I usually combine it with local fb group for the area that allows sales. I get offered a chance to add to market place from local posting.

Results pretty good. Usually local folk. I even used the village page for my glut of plum and pears last year and elephants ear/begins this year. Plums and pears went fast, about 10 takers for 'dig your own' elephants ears - but they didn't make much impression 🤣

I'd say be clear with your description. Lots of photos, showing any marks or blemishes. That way there can be no ' oh I didn't realise' type remarks. Also give a reason for sale, so folk know its genuine. I've had a couple if time wasters but others serves me well. I have also got some good stuff myself. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure!

Good luck, you've nothing to loose. Don't put your address or phone number in the ad, 1st part of your postcode or village. It gives an area when you input your postcode but doesnt publish your full postcode. Folk can direct/private message you or you message them with details for collection, and you and from where. Cash on collection keeps everything else safe and secure 😱

DavidKlyne replied on 06/04/2023 21:17

Posted on 06/04/2023 21:17

Thanks for the input on this. I think I am persuaded to give it a go, I will let you know how it works out. None of the things I want to sell are exactly high priced  and hopefully they are priced according to value and condition so hopefully not too many doorstep arguments!

David

JollyKernow replied on 11/04/2023 10:14

Posted on 11/04/2023 10:14

We too have sold quite a bit of stuff on marketplace DK, from dvd's to a caravan! Always stick a few quid on then after a bit of a haggle everyone's happy. Put loads of photos on too. We had folks from Cheshire drive down to us here to buy our awning and paid the full asking price and a local chap tried to haggle over a £0 aquaroll! We've found it's by far the easiest way to sell things for free. 

JK

JollyKernow replied on 02/05/2023 20:53

Posted on 02/05/2023 20:53

There are drawbacks with marketplace of course. I have some camping stuff currently for sale. After a half day receiving messages from someone apparently local, I've agreed a deal on an item subject to inspection. The person that lives 10 minutes away and knows the area like the back of their hand couldn't find us even after I supplied address, and even what 3 words coordinates. The receiving message 2 hours later required some of my details because I'd wasted their time! So be aware folks. 

The good thing that came out of this is I rather like cold mac & cheesesurprised

JK

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook