Friendliness

DavidKlyne replied on 12/10/2023 17:01

Posted on 12/10/2023 17:01

Its just a marketing ploy. As a user of both Clubs I have not seen, or experienced, anything from the C&CC operation that indicates to me that it is more friendly? Some could argue that there are elements of how the C&CC do things is less friendly than the CMC. I suspect the slogan stems from a time when the old Caravan Club was seen to be a bit more straight laced and the old Camping Club more relaxed?

David

vbfg replied on 15/10/2023 10:16

Posted on 15/10/2023 10:16

Some years ago, I joined the "Friendly Club" at a caravan and M/H show and along with their site book and other literature, I was given copies of some of their magazines. 

Reading through the letters pages there was a letter from a caravanner making truly appalling remarks about motorhomers/motorhomes.  I don't know whether I was more astounded at the unpleasantness of the letter, or the fact that the magazine had actually printed it as it was so amazingly vitriolic, especially in view of their assertion that they were the "Friendly Club", as friendly, it certainly was not!

Until then I had never realised that certain caravanners disliked motorhomes/motorhomers so much, although it did become somewhat evident from comments on CT, when the Caravan Club decided to change from the Caravan Club to the Caravan and Motorhome Club.

Obviously not all people in either Club feel that way and there are Members in both Clubs who are friendly and others, who are not as much. 

I am inclined to agree with DK, who as often happens, makes a very sensible suggestion as to why it is called the Friendly Club.

DSB replied on 18/10/2023 22:19

Posted on 18/10/2023 22:19

I've found little difference between the 'friendliness' of the Clubs.  It does sometimes vary from site to site, irrespective of the Club - it's inevitable that it will vary according to different personalities, but generally, I can't think that either club have come across as unfriendly.  🙂

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook