Is Road Pricing on its Way?

DavidKlyne replied on 04/02/2022 21:03

Posted on 04/02/2022 21:03

It seems it could be, according to the RAC Foundation here https://www.racfoundation.org/media-centre/no-viable-alternative-to-road-pricing-say-mps Apparently the Government faces a 35 billion black hole as we move to electric vehicles as currently they don't pay road tax. The House of Parliament Transport Committee have produced a report on finding alternatives to road tax, see here https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/8754/documents/88692/default/

Personally I don't have a problem with the idea of road pricing as it could be a lot fairer. Charges could be varied, I assume, according to how busy and how congested the particular roads are?

It will be a big decision for the Government to make, lets hope they get it right!!!

David

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/02/2022 12:12

Posted on 06/02/2022 12:03 by SeasideBill

Such is life….

Banks make provision for £billion of losses as part of doing business on the web. Why should Govt agencies be any different? In reality it will be contracted out to some half-competent facilities management company. The only bit that really bothers me is how easy and quick it is to get my money refunded when I’m the victim? Internet fraudsters lurk in the shadows, at least VED dodgers have UK registered names & addresses!

Posted on 06/02/2022 12:12

Thanks, don’t these ‘half competent facilities management companies’ have to answer for losses when audited at all, it is public money after all🤷🏻‍♂️☹️

SeasideBill replied on 06/02/2022 12:35

Posted on 06/02/2022 12:12 by Rocky 2 buckets

Thanks, don’t these ‘half competent facilities management companies’ have to answer for losses when audited at all, it is public money after all🤷🏻‍♂️☹️

Posted on 06/02/2022 12:35

Yes, but that’s not my point. The Govt will expect to lose some revenue because the system will be abused. Revenue collected from 30 million vehicles will run into £billions so in that context losing a few hundred £million to fraud isn’t a big deal.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/02/2022 13:20

Posted on 06/02/2022 12:35 by SeasideBill

Yes, but that’s not my point. The Govt will expect to lose some revenue because the system will be abused. Revenue collected from 30 million vehicles will run into £billions so in that context losing a few hundred £million to fraud isn’t a big deal.

Posted on 06/02/2022 13:20

It was my original point/question SB, not about abusing the system, but hackers, I couldn’t work out how a Govt or an Agency empowered by the Govt could actually have their security circumvented & rip us the public off. I accept its done to a small degree-no doubt but not to a degree to actually make it really worthwhile. I doubt the Govt have a stash of digital money labelled-ICE/EV in the ether somewhere🤷🏻‍♂️. No problem I was hoping for a quick definitive answer from someone in the know, no probs I’ll do some research, thanks👍🏻

redface replied on 06/02/2022 21:14

Posted on 06/02/2022 21:14

Why not give all NEW vehicles 3 years free movement on U K highways? Then when the MOT  cert records their mileage, that is the starting point to charging. So the following year, when the odometer is officially read, the actual annual mileage is fact and the vehicle owner charged appropriately.

There should be, of course, the ability for say fleet vehicle owners (and any other volunteers) to pay £x amount up front during the first charging year to save a huge bill at the end of it.

Or is that beyond the wit of politicians to grasp?

Tinwheeler replied on 06/02/2022 21:29

Posted on 06/02/2022 21:14 by redface

Why not give all NEW vehicles 3 years free movement on U K highways? Then when the MOT  cert records their mileage, that is the starting point to charging. So the following year, when the odometer is officially read, the actual annual mileage is fact and the vehicle owner charged appropriately.

There should be, of course, the ability for say fleet vehicle owners (and any other volunteers) to pay £x amount up front during the first charging year to save a huge bill at the end of it.

Posted on 06/02/2022 21:29

Will that not encourage people to skip MOTs, fiddle odometer readings and so on?

Times have changed, RF, and automatic recording and direct payment on a basis more frequently than once a year must surely be the way to go.

SteveL replied on 06/02/2022 21:34

Posted on 06/02/2022 21:34

Not very good if we take our MH to France, where we get charged for autoroute usage. Then get charged again when it gets MOT’d☹️

SeasideBill replied on 06/02/2022 23:23

Posted on 06/02/2022 23:23

Is that fair? Folks who can afford to change their vehicle every 3 years never get to pay VED, subsidised by those who cannot afford to change.

DavidKlyne replied on 06/02/2022 23:37

Posted on 06/02/2022 23:37

The problem I can see with that is that it introduces two systems rather than all vehicle being treated the same. One might also argue that it gives people who can afford to change their cars every three years a free pass at the expense of those that keep their vehicles longer?

David

replied on 07/02/2022 08:24

Posted on 07/02/2022 08:24

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook