Low Emissions Zone

Muso101 replied on 09/06/2022 18:52

Posted on 09/06/2022 18:52

Good Afternoon,

I've just booked a stay at Abbey Wood,as I haven't been to London in many a year..it's the low emissions I don't understand?

as my car is not exempt,does this mean I have to pay a charge everyday I use my car in this area? and even if I don't use my car during my stay,I will be charged on my arrival and departure day at Abbey Wood?

Do I have to pay upfront,and where do I pay?... I realise I can google for all this info,but before I do,any help or advice would be appreciated,plus any suggestions as to how to travel into London,all the options if you've done it before...much appreciated...

Cedric

SteveL replied on 12/06/2022 11:01

Posted on 12/06/2022 11:01

We prefer the visitor Oyster cards, which we’ve had for a few years. I seem to remember we had to apply for them before leaving home and you had to load them with £10 or £20. There after they can be topped up in a machine at most stations. We can then just keep them in an easy access pocket and saves getting the credit cards out in a busy station. They can stay secure in my money belt.

Graydjames replied on 12/06/2022 12:25

Posted on 12/06/2022 11:01 by SteveL

We prefer the visitor Oyster cards, which we’ve had for a few years. I seem to remember we had to apply for them before leaving home and you had to load them with £10 or £20. There after they can be topped up in a machine at most stations. We can then just keep them in an easy access pocket and saves getting the credit cards out in a busy station. They can stay secure in my money belt.

Posted on 12/06/2022 12:25

I remember looking into this as well, but I decided it was much easier to use my debit card and not have to bother with another card and topping up. I keep my debit card in my front trouser pocket when out in London (usually in jeans which keeps it pretty safe). My wallet with other cards and any cash is usually in my rucksack. I've never owned a money belt.

I think my cards are pretty secure, but you can never be sure of course. You're right that my method is higher risk as you stand to lose more if the debit card is lost or stolen; this is especially so with the increase in contactless limit to £100. As with lots of things, there is a trade off between risk and convenience and part of the decision, in this case, will depend on how risk averse you are.  

Ordinarily I keep my debit card in my wallet. I freely admit that, about three years ago, I did lose my debit card - I have no idea how and it was only my debit card not my other cards - and someone who either stole it or found it used it three times in shops nearby to my home, spending under £45 each time, as was the limit then, before I discovered the loss. My bank refunded the money, but perhaps that won't always be so.     

The ability to do contactless payments is being widened to a further 230 stations over the next few years - by the end of 2024 is the plan - but this extension will not apply to Oyster cards. It will include places like Reading and Southend, for example. It is costing £68m which seems to suggest that people like the ease of paying this way. Of course most bus companies now accept them as well; albeit not all of them on a tap-on and tap-off basis as yet.

There was talk, a year or two back, of ending Oyster cards altogether, and making payments contactless only. But that idea seems to have been dropped. There's no doubt that for Londoners Oyster is popular.      

Graydjames replied on 14/06/2022 11:51

Posted on 11/06/2022 17:49 by Graydjames

Yes, I am sorry to have mislead. You don't actually have to register the card. Registration gives you an account so you can then log in, see your journeys, the costs incurred, and a lot of other data. But the tap-in tap-out will work without an account. 

Posted on 14/06/2022 11:51

Misled, not mislead! embarassed

Arch replied on 14/06/2022 12:24

Posted on 09/06/2022 19:43 by Tinwheeler

Posted on 14/06/2022 12:24

TW's link is the best way to find out what charge you have to pay when and what times its the Transport for London site so you won't go wrong I use every time we go to the Crystal Palace site the rules change frequently so always leave it until a couple of days before you pay and check again.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook