May be of Interest to Bus Pass Users

DavidKlyne replied on 07/03/2024 21:07

Posted on 07/03/2024 21:07

Currently pensioners who have bus passes can only use them in their Home Country of residence. There is a petition calling for the authorities to  "negotiate reciprocal agreements with the devolved administrations of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland" so that bus passes could be used throughout the UK. The Petition can be viewed here.

David

Hja replied on 09/03/2024 20:21

Posted on 09/03/2024 20:21

Whereas the national minimum is a start time of 9.30am here in Lincolnshire it is certainly 9am, and something I read the other day seemed to suggest it was all day.

KjellNN replied on 09/03/2024 20:56

Posted on 09/03/2024 20:56

I believe we get them at 60 up here in Scotland, and we can use them at any time.   Some discounts on local trains too I think, but not  free.

DavidKlyne replied on 05/04/2024 19:59

Posted on 05/04/2024 19:59

Just an update. I noticed today that the petition has now achieved the 10,000 votes which means the Government now need to provide an answer. I am not confident that it will be positive but perhaps I should wait and see?

David

DavidKlyne replied on 26/04/2024 15:33

Posted on 26/04/2024 15:33

The Petition has now reached over 15000 signatures.

The other news is that the Government has responded, unfortunately negatively, why am I not surprised. They did say that there is provision in the 2007 Act to allow mutual use of Bus Passes. However their reason (excuse?) is that the four countries that make up the UK have differing ages at which you are entitled to a pass and some have more generous options. Maybe its just me but I would have thought that if you have a bus pass issued in Scotland, regardless of the age of qualification and other enhanced benefits, all you would be using in England, Wales or NI is to get a free ride on a bus. I don't see where the complication is? 

David

Hja replied on 26/04/2024 17:41

Posted on 26/04/2024 15:33 by DavidKlyne

The Petition has now reached over 15000 signatures.

The other news is that the Government has responded, unfortunately negatively, why am I not surprised. They did say that there is provision in the 2007 Act to allow mutual use of Bus Passes. However their reason (excuse?) is that the four countries that make up the UK have differing ages at which you are entitled to a pass and some have more generous options. Maybe its just me but I would have thought that if you have a bus pass issued in Scotland, regardless of the age of qualification and other enhanced benefits, all you would be using in England, Wales or NI is to get a free ride on a bus. I don't see where the complication is? 

David

Posted on 26/04/2024 17:41

A bit of an artificial argument that, because different English authorities have different terms. Eg here in Lincs we don’t need to wait until 9.30 am to use my pass but when I go to my regular hospital appt in Nottingham and catch the bus from the park and ride I have to pay if it is before 9.30.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook