Who's Served in the Armed Forces?

Snowy1 replied on 25/06/2017 19:32

Posted on 25/06/2017 19:32

I often wonder how many of us have served in the Armed Forces and what Cap Badge/outfit etcetera we were involved in.  I would have thought there will be many as National Service did not stop until 1960, two years after I was Born. Asking this question, I had better start with myself;

Served firstly in the RAF, then the Army, Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC), role, Field Ambulance, rank held, Sergeant, demobbed August 2003 after returning from Iraq.

Colin

tigerfish replied on 11/07/2017 19:13

Posted on 11/07/2017 19:13

From that 3 month attachment I have nothing but sheer admiration for the professionalism of Her Majesty's Royal Marine's.

I noted that whilst there, one of the most cutting criticism's that an instructor could give to a recruit was "Thats not very professional lad!" It was always received with a very crestfallen look, and you could tell that it went home!  As I said total admiration & respect!

TF

OldSoldier replied on 14/07/2017 15:22

Posted on 14/07/2017 15:22

Hi folks. Good to see a little services banter on here... As a young lad in the 60's I wanted to follow Dad's footsteps and join the REME but there were no boy soldier vacancies at the time so I settled for the Royal Signals, commonly referred to as "Bleeps"......with a view of transferring cap badges later. Trained as an Electrician Driver so spent many a year fixing and servicing trucks and generators. This trade had the added benefit that I always had sufficient power In the field to run my little luxuries ( kettle, toaster, stereo, and electric blanket etc!) Never did change the badge, I wonder why!!

Best postings were Berlin in the early 70's and Edinburgh in the late 80's. Always said that the Services provided the best start In life, gave us all a good foundation based on discipline and responsibility. 

I have the greatest respect for those serving their country, particularly this of the past decade or two, they have been given some difficult and challenging duties to perform in the name of our country. I was lucky, I knew who our enemies were meant to be.....well most of them anyway!

Regards. Pete Penfold.

EmilysDad replied on 14/07/2017 23:11

Posted on 06/07/2017 10:00 by Gritzz

Ex RN stoker 1966/72. Favourite Draft ARGONAUT (F56) Leander Class Frigate, Sept.69 /Oct.71 Fantastic stokers mess,great bunch of blokes,one of them a fellow motorhome now living in Norfolk.we circle the wagons now and then for a tot !!!

Posted on 14/07/2017 23:11

Just seen this. I was on both Hermione & Jupiter laughing

richardandros replied on 18/07/2017 16:12

Posted on 18/07/2017 16:12

Next year sees the 50th anniversary of my joining BRNC Dartmouth as a Cadet.  However, my Naval career was to be short-lived, because after completing my Midshipman's year at sea and then moving on to The Royal Naval Engineering College at Manadon, Plymouth as a Sub-Lieutenant, I managed to fail my engineering degree - with honours!!  (I did, however, come away with a highly 'tweeked sports car after having spent far too much time in the excellent workshops, rather than studying!) Even though I left after only three years - and went on to have a successful Police career - the lessons I learned, particularly via the very strict discipline at Dartmouth, have stayed with me throughout my life.

richardandros replied on 19/07/2017 06:36

Posted on 19/07/2017 06:36

Hi TF - I joined Hull City Police in 1971 which became part of the Humberside Force in 1974. Apart from a brief secondment to the Home Office, I stayed with that force throughout my career.  Retired on medical grounds in 1993 when I was Divisional Cdr for Hull Division.  After a couple of years exploring the Med in my yacht, (never really got the salt water out of my veins!) I then became a Regional CEO for St John Ambulance which I did for almost 15 years.  Bit of a varied, but interesting career path!!

Lew Jack replied on 28/01/2022 15:40

Posted on 28/01/2022 15:40

Joined the RN in 1968 and served on HM Ships HERMES, MATAPAN, KILMOREY, BLAKE, BRAZEN, YARMOUTH, EDINBURGH & INVINCIBLE in addition to various Shore Bases. Finally retired in a reduced medical category on 31st December 1994. A fantastic life without doubt. Now retired completely and by the way folks, there is a Facebook group…..Veterans (UK)  caravan & camping group which may be of interest to some of.  You will be hard pushed to get better inter-service banter elsewhere. Regards to all….especially my service colleagues who wore the uniform of whichever arm of HM Forces.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook