Off to Wembley!

moulesy replied on 23/07/2023 19:40

Posted on 23/07/2023 19:40

Great excitement tonight in the moulesy household (well, in 50% of it) as Hull Kingston Rovers won their Challenge Cup semi final to qualify for Wembley next month. Last time was 2015 when (un)fortunately we were on holiday so I missed the narrow (!) defeat to Leeds. But nothing else planned for this year so it's off to the capital on August 12th to see if The Robins can, at last, repeat their 1980 triumph over local rivals Hull FC (sorry to mention that again, mickey!) smile

Wherenext replied on 13/08/2023 20:55

Posted on 13/08/2023 20:55

Glad to hear you had an almost great day M.

Also glad it took someone to win it.

Who, if they watched it live and are old enough, can ever forget Don Fox and Eddie Wareings commentary after "the poor lad" missed the winning conversion from right in front of the posts all those  years ago? Wakefield Trinity has never been the same since.

moulesy replied on 13/08/2023 21:07

Posted on 13/08/2023 21:07

I do remember that Don Fox moment and they showed it as part of the pre match build up on the Wembley screens (in all it's grainy black & white glory!) Sitting directly behind me was a group of, shall we say, worse for wear, Wakefield supporters, probably too young to remember it themselves! wink

nelliethehooker replied on 14/08/2023 21:40

Posted on 14/08/2023 21:40

I too  remember it, however I want sure if the position he played in this match so here is the definitive answer....or at least I think it is, according to Wikipedia!!

"Don Fox played right-prop, i.e. number 10, and scored 2-conversions in Wakefield Trinity's 10–11 defeat by Leeds in the 1967–68 Challenge Cup "Watersplash" Final during the 1967–68 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 11 May 1968, in front of a crowd of 87,100.[10] The match was played on a waterlogged pitch and the score was 11–7 to Leeds when Ken Hirst scored a try under the posts for Wakefield Trinity with the final play of the game. Tries were worth three points at that time, making the score 11–10, but a simple 2-point conversion was all that was needed to give Wakefield an unassailable one-point lead, and win the game. Wakefield Trinity fans were jubilant as the conversion from in front of the posts is by far the easiest kick in rugby league. Fox had already scored two more difficult conversions in the game, and he was such a prolific kicker that it realistically should have presented no problem. However, the waterlogged state of the pitch made this a more difficult proposition, and Fox lost his footing and sliced the ball wide of the posts. The final whistle was blown immediately afterwards, giving Leeds a dramatic one-point victory. Commentator Eddie Waring said of Fox, 'He's a poor lad', a remark which became a widely quoted piece of commentary.[11] Fox had already been chosen to win the Lance Todd Trophy for his performance in the match, but he was disconsolate and trudged off the pitch. Interviewed by David Coleman on television later, he was asked if the trophy was any consolation and replied "not really, no".[12] The boots he was wearing during the game are now on display at Wakefield Museum."

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook