The Euros

nelliethehooker replied on 11/06/2021 21:53

Posted on 11/06/2021 21:53

Can't get excited about the competition. My biggest worry is what it will do to assist the spread of Covid, regardless of all the supposed precautions that the organisers have said that they have put in. Ostriches and sand come to mind.yell

replied on 12/07/2021 07:36

Posted on 12/07/2021 07:36

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 12/07/2021 09:02

Posted on 12/07/2021 09:02

Good team, good captain, we got to the final, someone had to lose, penalties never seem a good ending.

Takethedogalong replied on 12/07/2021 10:15

Posted on 12/07/2021 10:15

Unlike the Italians, who lets not forget were unbeaten in their last 32 games, it’s the first time some of those very young players will have been in this situation in an England shirt. Talking penalties is easy sat in an armchair, it’s something else in a boiling cauldron of a stadium, and with the World’s millions behind the TV waiting to pounce.

They were very good in the first half, in fact stunned the Italians into semi panic at one bit. But they are wiser, wily Masters of the Game, and soaked up most of what England then threw at them. They were as good in attack as they usually are defending, and all credit to them. 

Personally, I think our England lads did us proud. They have been somewhere no other England player has managed to be in the last 55 years, that’s an achievement in itself. I loathe penalty shoot outs, would prefer a Golden Goal ending.

moulesy replied on 12/07/2021 10:43

Posted on 12/07/2021 10:43

The squad achieved something that no other England squad has for 55 years and they should be rightly proud of what they've achieved.

Italy deserved to win overall, whether in normal time, penalties which I personally loathe or golden goal (the problem with that being teams seem to clam up and are afraid to lose by default.)

Little point playing the "if only" game now, but if I might be allowed just a little critical remark, I struggled to understand how a manager who has got so much so right during the tournament got his final decision so wrong. Rashford and Sancho could have been brought on 10 or even 5 minutes earlier to at least get a feel for things before taking penalties. As it is I don't think either got a touch of the ball before those crucial spot kicks. And, good as he is, putting all that responsibility on 19 year old Saka for the final kick was dubious - why did Stirling not take a penalty? 

Easy with hindsight I know and perhaps it's best to remember this tournament for a young group of players who bonded together magnificently, did England proud, and, hey, the next World Cup is only 18 months away and then football may well and  truly be coming home! 👍

moulesy replied on 12/07/2021 10:55

Posted on 12/07/2021 10:55

There are so many positives to take from this tournament. Harry Kane, thought not at his very best, and Raheem Stirling will undoubtedly take most of the plaudits.

But for me the real star of the show was Luke Shaw, a player who has come back from a career threatening injury, had to suffer the derision of his own former (so called "special") manager and had not played for the national team for 18 months. Some very special performances for home to remember!  smile

Takethedogalong replied on 12/07/2021 11:04

Posted on 12/07/2021 11:04

I can fully understand Sterling not taking a penalty, and know what’s in store for those three young lads who missed. Playing for their teams next season will bring out every racist and nasty know all every time they touch the ball. Sterling has had a taste of this already.
I think they could have come on earlier as well, but they will have had a game plan, penalty taker list, and all credit to those who stuck up their hand and said “ok Guv, I am brave enough to have a go” Dont forget, Italy’s Mr 100% missed his penalty last night. It really is all down to luck🤞

Italy’s goalie was huge. Pickford did well. Chiellini looks like he should be yelling abuse from the top of Hadrian’s Wall😁 can just see him in a Centurion’s helmet😂

Graydjames replied on 12/07/2021 11:47

Posted on 12/07/2021 11:47

Takethedogalong wrote:

"I loathe penalty shoots outs, would prefer a Golden Goal ending"

I agree I hate penalty shoot outs too and I never feel - whether I support the winning or losing team - that it properly wins the game, let alone the whole tournament. The trouble is, it is so difficult to come up with an alternative that is going to work. That is apart from replays, of course, but even then the question is: how many replays should we have? And in tournaments like the Euros and the World Cup, replays don't really work. 

I remember the FA Cup saga between Ipswich and Leeds in 1975. That went to four matches, memorable for me because the second and third replays were played at Filbert Street, Leicester, and I attended both games. That was when the FA Cup really meant something. I realise you could not do that now with all the European football - but it's a shame in my view.   

But to return to the original point, a Golden (or Silver) goal rule won't necessarily prevent penalties and, in fact, failed to do in more cases, pro-rata, than had been the case previously. It was supposed to mean attacking football, but it mostly resulted in the opposite, especially where the stakes were very high, and, hence, it was rightly abandoned.

Fisherman replied on 12/07/2021 13:38

Posted on 12/07/2021 13:38

The final was a master class by the Italians. They had a plan, stop Kane and Sterling by any means. They did it at the expense of 5 yellow cards. Cynical yes but if the ends justified the means they were happy. The worst part was the fans and hooligans creating havoc. It was an exciting match to watch.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook