Tour de France, 2024

Pliers replied on 25/10/2023 16:34

Posted on 25/10/2023 16:34

Next year’s Tour route has been released today. 
A bit different, as expected, starting in Florence and finishing in Nice. 
Some “interesting” stages.
Will be getting the maps and campsite guides out later, and start planning next year’s hols. πŸ™‚πŸš΄‍β™‚οΈπŸ™‚. 

Here’s a link to the route.

https://www.letour.fr/en/the-race/grands-departs/grand-depart-2024

Mod Edit - Link made live.

nelliethehooker replied on 25/10/2023 20:31

Posted on 25/10/2023 20:31

It certainly looks an interesting, and very hard, route this year. I wonder if Cav will win that elusive stage this time?

The Tour de France Femmes will climax with a breath-taking stage finishing at L'Alpe d'Huez, with the eight-stage race taking place from 12-18 August. Will you be staying over to take any of that event in too, Pliers?

DavidKlyne replied on 25/10/2023 22:18

Posted on 25/10/2023 22:18

Remember staying at a Campsite at the bottom of L'Alpe d'Huez, it was bad enough driving up to the top in a car! Mind you there was a family with older lads on the campsite opposite us and they both rode up and came back as fresh as daisies!

David

Graydjames replied on 26/10/2023 09:54

Posted on 26/10/2023 09:54

Once, The Tour de France passed through Andover in Hampshire where I lived and worked for many years. The first stage had started in England somewhere, but I can’t remember where or when this was; more than 20 years ago I think. Hundreds lined the road; it was a novelty, not something one expected to witness in a little town like Andover in England.

After waiting for what seemed like hours, although it was probably only about one, excitement grew as the colourful teams’ support cars came into view lead by police motor bikes and myriad other vehicles that such events apparently require. I remarked on how fast they were going. Then, all of a sudden, whoooooosh, in a few seconds the peloton sped by and, in an instant, it was all over.

Of course, we should have known, but that did not detract from the disappointment and the firm resolution that attending the Tour de France was not going to feature on any bucket list that I might draw up in the future.

I am being deliberately cynical. I imagine if you follow Le Tour stage by stage, or view from mountain sides where the progress is slower, or near the end of a stage where the competitors might be more stretched out, and you might even recognise someone, or actually spot the yellow jersey, I am guessing it might, just might, be more fun.

Goldie146 replied on 26/10/2023 13:36

Posted on 26/10/2023 13:36

I would love to go and see a live stage (or two), but I know it will never happen now. Watching the coverage on ITV 4 is as near as I'll ever get.

Some years we're lucky and the Tour of Britain comes by our lane end which is fun. even though it's a fraction of the excitement caused by Le Tour.

Takethedogalong replied on 26/10/2023 13:42

Posted on 26/10/2023 13:42

GJ, if this was your one and only live visit to see/watch the TourdeF, it’s a bit different now. After 2014 and the TdeF coming to Yorkshire, many more towns and villages get into the whole festival, and plan all sorts of things months in advance. The other thing to remember is you have to choose your viewing point in advance. Top of a hill is always best, quite a way on in the race is always best.  If, as we had in Yorkshire for three days, you can get to either a start or a finish, it’s even better. The team coaches and other stuff will be around the finish, and you can usually get up very close, to all the riders, coaches, everything else that’s going on. There is a strong rumour that it might be returning to UK shores, and hopefully Yorkshire again in next few years. 

We were in Clumber Park this year to watch just the Tourb of Britain whizz through. But the friendly banter amongst folks, looking out for some of the Pro’s who live local cheer on their friends is fun. Many were hurtling around on bikes catching glimpses at various points on the route. It was a nice morning. There were some cycling superstars there to spot, not least…..Wout van Aert and Tom Pidcock. WvanA is below, the one in yellow. 

SteveL replied on 26/10/2023 14:09

Posted on 26/10/2023 14:09

We’ve only done it the once in France and it was very enjoyable.  Bastille day 2014 on the lower slopes of Mount Ventoux. Sat in an orchard above the road having a very nice picnic. First there was the caravan, which took ages to pass, throwing out lots of goodies for the kids. Then the riders including Chris Froome, in yellow in the pictures. All going reasonably slowly as we were on a gradient. The next day was a rest day but on the one after that we watched a grand depart. The department of the Vaucluse set up a park and ride at a site about 5 miles away and laid on free air conditioned coaches to the start, which was somewhat crowded.πŸ˜‚ However we did get a good spot before km 0 where we could see the riders close to. There was no spotty jersey,  as CF also owned that and in 2014 the next in line didn’t wear it, as they do now.

Takethedogalong replied on 26/10/2023 15:08

Posted on 26/10/2023 15:08

That’s the kind of day we want to do Steve.πŸ‘. Must be superb watching in in France. Would have loved to see Cav charging up the Champs Elysees. Tour de Yorkshire had a nice little pre race caravan drive the route, a proper Indian curry wagon, a giant Yorkshire pudding amongst other strange vehicles. We ‘ve always come away from races with all sorts of freebies. I bet Nice will be good next yearπŸ‘

Graydjames replied on 26/10/2023 15:19

Posted on 26/10/2023 15:19

Of course, you're right TDA; as I said. I am sure it must be much more fun if you choose your viewing point carefully. We'd just sneaked out of our office to watch it go past.  

Just as a matter of interest, I have tracked down when it was: 7 July 1994 - nearly 30 years ago unbelievably. The 5th stage started and finished in Portsmouth and went through Winchester, Andover and Basingstoke. The day before, stage 4 had gone from Dover to Brighton.

Later, and for 14 years, I had a house in France; the Tour came close a few times, but I never bothered! Perhaps I should have done!  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook