World Championship Athletics DOHA 2019

ABM replied on 30/09/2019 12:54

Posted on 30/09/2019 12:54

Staggered to see the Women's 100 metre  finals last night taking place in an almost totally empty stadium ! I can understand the Marathon being run at Midnight Dohar time with few spectators for reasons of temperature / humidity but when Dina Asher-smith came second for her Silver medal in the 100 she reacted to the applause from the half dozen in the BBC Commentary Team because she clearly could hear them 'cos there were so very few spectators there !! Dammit It's the atmosphere generated by the spectators that helps the athletes perform to their best.

Bakers2 replied on 30/09/2019 19:18

Posted on 30/09/2019 19:18

Didn't watch that race, but we've had it on, it is now. Listening to the temperatures it seems complete madness to have even considered holding this sort of event in Dohar. Similar to the football world cup to be played in the middle east. Does money play any part??? After all I've not seen bids from The Artic or Antarctic to host any sports event, equally extreme and dangerous temperatures for the participants!

ABM replied on 30/09/2019 21:54

Posted on 30/09/2019 21:54

Only the very long distance races that take the athletes out of the stadium are affected by extremes of  temperature / humidity, brue. According to Gabby R & Michael J the stadium has three levels of air conditioning !!   Ground i.e. track level, then rather higher covering most of the spectators and finally the upper level covering the TV commentators etc etc. What its like behind the visible areas i.e. athletes accommodation, changing rooms, offices etc I can't say.  At certain times it can be noticed  in the flags being blown in different directions.

We must remember, of course, who paid for this stadium etc etc to be built.

{ Fifty Litres of Premium please embarassed  !! }

brue replied on 30/09/2019 22:09

Posted on 30/09/2019 22:09

Eh?! Have you been eating that bird seed again? laughing

But have been watching those very long legged high and long jump contenders. How do they do it? Impressive all round.

ABM replied on 30/09/2019 22:22

Posted on 30/09/2019 22:09 by brue

Eh?! Have you been eating that bird seed again? laughing

But have been watching those very long legged high and long jump contenders. How do they do it? Impressive all round.

Posted on 30/09/2019 22:22

Nah, it gets stuck between Brian's teeth, he tweeted yelltongue-out  !!

But the Athletics have, indeed, been very very good. Which is why I got so upset about the appalling attendances.

ABM replied on 30/09/2019 22:30

Posted on 30/09/2019 22:30

OH SO SORRY  embarassed.

Just re-read my latest wittiscisms & pontifications when I realised I have got my " brues" and my " Bakers2"  muddled and mixed up again.

I'll go and vacuum the living room as penance  frown

Sorry, Ladies so very sorry,  sniffle sob.

ABM replied on 02/10/2019 22:20

Posted on 02/10/2019 22:20

Just on my way to bed now, in order to recover from the excitement of watching Katherine J-T In the Heptathlon & Dina A-S in the Women's 200metres doing us, and of course themselves PROUD !!

Merciful  heavens the hours of graft they must be putting in on their training to perform so brilliantly and still come up smiling.

Pliers replied on 02/10/2019 22:33

Posted on 02/10/2019 22:20 by ABM

Just on my way to bed now, in order to recover from the excitement of watching Katherine J-T In the Heptathlon & Dina A-S in the Women's 200metres doing us, and of course themselves PROUD !!

Merciful  heavens the hours of graft they must be putting in on their training to perform so brilliantly and still come up smiling.

Posted on 02/10/2019 22:33

Fantastic Dina!

And fingers crossed for the same from Katherine.

😊

ABM replied on 03/10/2019 23:37

Posted on 03/10/2019 23:37

TWO GOLDS, ONE SILVER in the World Athletic Championships

And, let us not forget it,  they were won by British LADIES !!

Doing themselves proud, and smiling with it   !!

{ OK OK there were a few tears but of the happy, emotional variety  !! }

Bakers2 replied on 04/10/2019 09:05

Posted on 04/10/2019 09:05

Well done girls 🍾🍾

Didn't see the final of KJT as I was out, looking forward to seeing at some point today. The coverage has provided good entertainment and interest for OH, he's even watched the rugby too. I have enjoyed what bits I've seen. Good coverage, knowable commentators etc.

Ps of to have that length of leg. Fitness etc would be nice too. I've always said I'm going to be tall when I grow up, but I haven't reached that stage yet πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook