Your Greatest Sporting Memories

Wherenext replied on 19/04/2022 21:19

Posted on 19/04/2022 21:19

I was minded to start this thread after watching a re-run of the immortal game of rugby, to me anyway, between the All Blacks and The Barbarians when the All Blacks were touring here in 1973. This was when playing for the Babas was a privilege and this side contained some of the greats of "Lions" rugby.

It contained for me the greatest sporting memory I have, that of THE TRY, scored by Gareth Edwards after only about 4 minutes of play. There didn't seem to be a "Rolling Maul" in the whole game, not a great deal of "Rucking" either but loads of fantastic open play. I was quite young when I watched this live the first time around and I can often forget where I live but I can remember facets of this game as if it was played only yesterday.

So feel free to recall your favourite piece of sporting memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMd7PQavavw

vbfg replied on 22/04/2022 11:06

Posted on 22/04/2022 11:06

One of my most abiding memories was from October 2007.  It was a Saturday afternoon and I was on a narrowboat on the Oxford Canal and had moored up for the day to watch England and Australia in the Rugby World Cup semi finals.  Not long before the end of the match the TV cut out.  Thinking that the batteries were flat I turned on the engine to charge them up but the alternator had conked out and I couldn't get a new one fitted until the Monday. I didn't get to see the end of the match and didn't find out until Monday, whether Enlgand had won or not!  The most memorable was Red Rum winning his third Grand Naional, especially as at the time he was based not far from where I lived in Southport, so all of the town were rooting for him.

mickysf replied on 22/04/2022 14:13

Posted on 21/04/2022 16:51 by moulesy

I'm loving this thread, thanks for starting it, W.

But it's a bit like Desert Island Discs, every time I try to think of a "greatest" moment, another one crops up.

So .... going to Trent Bridge with Mum & Dad and brother to watch one of Freddie Trueman's last games, Wembley for Hull KR beating Hull FC to win the Challenge Cup (sorry to bring that up, micky!) and again for The Gas beating Grimsby on penalties to get promoted back into the football league at the first attempt, and, for a personal memory, running the London Marathon in 1982.

(Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably choose something completely different!) smile

Posted on 22/04/2022 14:13

You just had to didn’t you, couldn’t leave it alone!🤬

mickysf replied on 22/04/2022 14:55

Posted on 22/04/2022 14:55

Watching Newcastle Falcons move through the divisions and then becoming English Premiership champions at their first attempt in the 1997–98 season thanks in part to Sir John Hall. The squad included Rob Andrew, Pat Lam the late great Rugby League legend Inga Tuigamala, Doddie Weir, Gary Armstrong, the Underwood brothers, Alan Tait, John Bentley and, of course, Jonny Wilkinson. Fabulous years leading up to this but sadly not such a force today. Maybe they will get the better of London Irish tonight! I live in hope of better seasons to come.

Amesford replied on 23/04/2022 09:37

Posted on 23/04/2022 09:37

At the age of 10 watching  Aston Villa v Man utd in the 1957 cup final on our 9 inch screen TV the house was of course packed with family and friends as it was for the coronation 4 years earlier  I can also remember our TV going away to be upgraded to receive the brand new ITV channel 

ADP1963 replied on 23/04/2022 09:53

Posted on 23/04/2022 09:53

Amesford

I would have probably been at that match with my Dad. He was a Villa fan and I was a Wolves fan. We didn't miss many home matches and saw many of the greats.

Amesford replied on 23/04/2022 11:07

Posted on 23/04/2022 09:53 by ADP1963

Amesford

I would have probably been at that match with my Dad. He was a Villa fan and I was a Wolves fan. We didn't miss many home matches and saw many of the greats.

Posted on 23/04/2022 11:07

I remember my first time at Villa park in the Trinity road stand I was lifted up and passed down to the front of the stand so I could see the game 

nelliethehooker replied on 24/04/2022 20:32

Posted on 24/04/2022 20:32

Being at Twickenham in I think 1974 and seeing Mike Gibson score a try for Ireland against England. I seem to remember that the Fergus Slattery and Willie-John were also in the team. For England David Duckham, Fran Cotton and Tony Neary, but they were not good enough on the day. Fortunately I had been taken by a couple of Irish lads to the match!!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook