What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Wherenext replied on 12/12/2019 18:17

Posted on 12/12/2019 18:17

Unusual occurrence today. Had 2 different Wagtails feeding in the garden, a Pied and a Grey. Neither stayed long.

Wherenext replied on 17/12/2019 19:42

Posted on 17/12/2019 19:42

Up on Great Orme above Llandudno today. A Peregrine and a Chough were the highlights apart from the views of distant Snowdonia peaking over the hills above Conwy.

RedKite replied on 18/12/2019 08:51

Posted on 18/12/2019 08:51

Our last site on the way home near Limoges and we had treecreepers and nuthatches on the same tree next to the van whilst eating breakfast as there is a lake next to the site plenty of cormorants flying about.  Saw hundreds of Lapwings whilst on the move towards home one flock at least two/three hundred.  WN I would like to see a chough but wrong part of the country here, just filled p the bird feeders and will see what turns up, very mild here 17C but had very strong winds yesterday.

RedKite replied on 18/12/2019 10:35

Posted on 18/12/2019 10:35

To add to  the above now got 6 Wood Larks in our field their numbers are go up here only used to be 2 for a few years so must like it here lot of food about in our field.

InaD replied on 18/12/2019 13:12

Posted on 18/12/2019 13:12

For the last few weeks we've been getting a male bullfinch on our feeders.  A beautiful bird.  Last year we saw it as well, but only a few times.  It now visits every day, 3 or 4 times.  

We also get 2 nuthatches several times a day, and we're really pleased that the GSW still visits 3 or 4 times a day as well.  

In contrast, at our last house, which  bordered onto fields, we got a lot of sparrows and starlings, now we back onto a lot of established trees, and there is a cemetery at the bottom of the small cul-de-sac, we don't get any sparrows or starlings.  We get the above though, as well as various tits (great, blue, coal and long-tailed) and chaffinches, green finches and lots of goldfinches, there can be 12 or 14 of those at any one time.

Interesting, the difference in visitors.

Wherenext replied on 18/12/2019 13:33

Posted on 18/12/2019 13:33

WN I would like to see a chough but wrong part of the country here

RK - You'll have to get into the Pyrenees, Alps or Massif Central to see them. I meant to mention to Oneputt when I recently sent him some info on the Pyrenees that they can be found there and the Yellow Billed ones especially up at Garvanie so hope he can pick it up from here.

You don't seem to be lacking in birds though!

Ina, it's funny but we were lacking in Sparrows for many a year and all of a sudden we seem to have inherited a flock of about 40. We have had some new house build nearby so maybe they've been turfed out. We used to get a couple of Tree Sparrows when we first moved in about 30+ years ago but the local farmer stopped grain production shortly after and they were gone.

Pliers replied on 18/12/2019 19:22

Posted on 18/12/2019 18:33 by Oneputt

There are chough’s in both the German and Austrian Alps.

Posted on 18/12/2019 19:22

And very tame Alpine Choughs hang out near all the French ski resorts. 😊

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook