What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

nelliethehooker replied on 31/01/2020 21:53

Posted on 31/01/2020 21:03 by InaD

For the last fortnight or so we've seen 2 blue tits looking at, and going in to, the nesting box.  This happens a few times every day.  I thought it was rather early to start looking where to build a nest, but perhaps the mildish weather has something to do with it?  Never seen them doing that this early in the year.

Posted on 31/01/2020 21:53

Spotted the same thing happening this morning in one of the new nest boxes set up behind the CL we're on at the moment.

Went to Gibraltar point this morning but there wasn't a lot to see, especially as the rain came in early.... Little Egret, lots of Wigeon, a few Little Grebes and Goldeneyes. There were a few large flights of birds but much too far to be sure of species, possibly Golden Plover.

nelliethehooker replied on 01/02/2020 18:57

Posted on 01/02/2020 18:57

Doubt that it's a record, but very interesting all the same.....We had 7 Long Tailed Tits on our fatball feeder at the same time this afternoon. 

Pliers replied on 05/02/2020 15:07

Posted on 05/02/2020 15:07

Saw and heard our first curlews of the year on our local moors this morning. A few days earlier than usual, and very welcome. They breed there every year and I absolutely love hearing them call as them fly over.

πŸ™‚

Wherenext replied on 05/02/2020 18:56

Posted on 05/02/2020 18:56

How lovely Pliers. We stopped on a CL near Bishop Auckland last June for a few nights as a last minute decision. It had a few horses in a paddock or two but best of all it had breeding curlews in the adjoining arable field and we heard the male returning on a regular basis. All of it unexpected as we were not that far from civilisation.

On a separate note we were lucky enough to be visited by both a Barn and a Tawny Owl at almost the same time around 10 o'clock last night. We heard the Barny hissing right next to the van so switched off all of the lights and had a peek. He was sitting on a hedge post but wasn't fooled by our subterfuge and immediately flew off. About a minute later the Tawny was hooting away.

Quite a few paired up Goldeneyes and a couple of female Goosanders on the meres today.

nelliethehooker replied on 05/02/2020 20:44

Posted on 05/02/2020 15:07 by Pliers

Saw and heard our first curlews of the year on our local moors this morning. A few days earlier than usual, and very welcome. They breed there every year and I absolutely love hearing them call as them fly over.

πŸ™‚

Posted on 05/02/2020 20:44

There were plenty around the Skegness area last week. I heard them each morning when I was out with Flyte, and then we saw a large flock of then on one of the scrapes behind the dunes at Anderby Creek a couple of days ago.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/02/2020 08:25

Posted on 06/02/2020 08:25

I was greeted by 3 Robins in separate trees having a 3 way sing off this morning, the sun had just broken the horizon to bathe them in sunlight. It was very welcoming. The fact we were crunching thru hoar frost didn’t seem to bother themπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Š. They may not be looking for mates fully yet but Spring is on its way.

RedKite replied on 06/02/2020 17:57

Posted on 06/02/2020 17:57

Had a short walk down the road and spotted 6 long tailed tits, 1 Large Tortoiseshell butterfly and then on the way back 1 Firecrest in a tree right next to the wall where I was standing did the same walk yesterday only a bit longer and did not see any birds although heard a woodcock fly through some trees and 3 small lizards sunning themselves on the local stone walls. Have got 2 local robins here singing in the hedge or trees and did have 1 redstart about as well.

Oneputt replied on 06/02/2020 18:06

Posted on 06/02/2020 18:06

We have 1 Robin here all year but this morning another turned up and they’ve been chasing around the garden all day.  

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/02/2020 18:43

Posted on 06/02/2020 10:16 by Wherenext

The garden Robins are already paired up Rocky.

Have to say it is lovely to hear birdsong again.

Posted on 06/02/2020 18:43

We’re obviously slow around here WNπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Š

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook