What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Oneputt replied on 15/05/2020 19:07

Posted on 15/05/2020 19:07

On one of the wildlife sites I follow I came across the following:

The dead Scops Owl was found by children in their garden in the district of Neunkirchen (Lower Austria).

Officials were called to investigate the noise by a resident who was annoyed at the ‘loud’ singing. During this inspection shots were heard to ring out. No body was found at the time and the bird was not heard to sing again.

On Friday 8th May children found the dead bird at the base of a tree.

"That a weapon is immediately used because a harmless bird is singing, shocked me a lot, ”says Johannes Hohenegger, bird of prey expert at BirdLife Austria.

He added “It is particularly painful as Scops Owl is a rare breeding bird in Lower Austria”

The police are now investigating the crime.

On a slightly happier note 2 x Turtle Doves which were shot on Malta have now recovered sufficiently to be released

Pliers replied on 15/05/2020 19:15

Posted on 15/05/2020 19:07 by Oneputt

On one of the wildlife sites I follow I came across the following:

The dead Scops Owl was found by children in their garden in the district of Neunkirchen (Lower Austria).

Officials were called to investigate the noise by a resident who was annoyed at the ‘loud’ singing. During this inspection shots were heard to ring out. No body was found at the time and the bird was not heard to sing again.

On Friday 8th May children found the dead bird at the base of a tree.

"That a weapon is immediately used because a harmless bird is singing, shocked me a lot, ”says Johannes Hohenegger, bird of prey expert at BirdLife Austria.

He added “It is particularly painful as Scops Owl is a rare breeding bird in Lower Austria”

The police are now investigating the crime.

On a slightly happier note 2 x Turtle Doves which were shot on Malta have now recovered sufficiently to be released

Posted on 15/05/2020 19:15

Was reading this morning that there has been an increase in “deaths” of raptors in the UK since the lockdown. Seems gamekeepers have been taking advantage of the lack of visitors/ walkers and “removing “ the birds from the grouse moors without being seen.

Not good, but no great surprise.

😢

Bluemalaga replied on 20/05/2020 10:13

Posted on 20/05/2020 10:13

What have we not seen.

After spending hundreds of pounds on bird food, supplying nest boxes, keeping cats away and providing fresh water over many years, devastated today to realise they are totally ungrateful. 😩

They have provided endless hours of pleasure wrens, dunnocks, sparrows, blue tits, great tits, goldfinches, greenfinches, pigeons and doves and various occasional visitors.

The one thing we always miss is the fledging of the blue tits as we are always on our first trip of the year along the east coast nature reserves. This year, with the lockdown, we were hoping to enjoy the fledging.

Yesterday we became aware that the parents were no longer in and out of the box. Looks like they flew the coup before we got up, bummer.

lets hope there is a second brood.

brue replied on 20/05/2020 11:19

Posted on 20/05/2020 11:19

I'm outside now, sitting near a box of bluetit fledglings. I think the parents are trying to encourage them out. The trees are full of other fledglings, it's been an upside to knockdown enjoying all this! 🐦

Bluemalaga replied on 20/05/2020 13:59

Posted on 20/05/2020 11:19 by brue

I'm outside now, sitting near a box of bluetit fledglings. I think the parents are trying to encourage them out. The trees are full of other fledglings, it's been an upside to knockdown enjoying all this! 🐦

Posted on 20/05/2020 13:59

Hi Brue

Are you still based near Steart, we were thinking of a a bit of excercise in a more pleasant surrounding if it is not to crowded.

Any advice, polite pleaselaughing 

Oneputt replied on 20/05/2020 14:10

Posted on 20/05/2020 14:10

We have a lot of gold finches fledged unfortunately a couple of days ago one hit our kitchen window and was killed instantly 

brue replied on 20/05/2020 15:28

Posted on 20/05/2020 13:59 by Bluemalaga

Hi Brue

Are you still based near Steart, we were thinking of a a bit of excercise in a more pleasant surrounding if it is not to crowded.

Any advice, polite pleaselaughing 

Posted on 20/05/2020 15:28

Well the advice would be a bit limited as we're over near the Dorset/Devon border. wink Looking at photos of Dunster Beach last weekend I'd hope it would be less crowded.?!

Whittakerr replied on 20/05/2020 15:41

Posted on 20/05/2020 15:41

I called to the storage facility where my caravan is over the weekend. I saw about 300 caravans, all gathering dust. frown

Bluemalaga replied on 20/05/2020 19:18

Posted on 20/05/2020 15:41 by Whittakerr

I called to the storage facility where my caravan is over the weekend. I saw about 300 caravans, all gathering dust. frown

Posted on 20/05/2020 19:18

Our van was serviced and cleaned in early October, then covered for the winter. The way things are going, it will be due the next service before the cover comes off.

Wherenext replied on 24/05/2020 16:18

Posted on 24/05/2020 16:18

We've been royally entertained by the birds visiting and stripping bare our fat ball holder.

In just the last 24 hours we have seen... Blue, Great, Long Tailed, and Coal Tits, plus House Sparrows.

The Robin, Blackbirds ( male, female and even latest Junior), Song Thrush, Jay, Jackdaw, Magpie all flying up to the holder and having to keep their balance with wing flapping, except the Jay who merely held onto the pole and leaned sideways to gain access, plus 2 natural bird feeder raiders, the GSW and the Nuthatch.

The Dunnock, Wren, Woodpigeons and occasional Blackcap have picked up the pieces.

The Crow decided against it.

I'm filling the thing up twice a day now. Have to admit it's never dull and as I can see it from the room I'm in at present and from the kitchen it always brightens the mood.

They may not be rare but to me they are still spectacular.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook