Barn Owls as pets!!!!

nelliethehooker replied on 12/10/2019 19:40

Posted on 12/10/2019 19:40

Most concerned today!! We saw a couple of large guys with 3 Barn Owl chicks, of about 6 weeks of age, out by Wooler Common Ponds. They had placed one chick onto the branch of a tree and were taking multiple photos of it. I guess they would be doing the same with the other two in turn. I enquired whether they were going to release them in time, but one guy said that he reared birds of prey and these would go to other people. I then ask if they were for display purposes but he replied that they were going as pets!! Unbelievable that some people should want a Barn Owl as a pet and that the guy was obviously selling them for a profit. I suppose that the photos would have been posted on line and the birds would be passed onto the highest bidders. Disgraceful. I see that the Barn Owl Trust doesn't recommend them that they be kept as pets but it obviously allowed in this country. However the United States does not allow private individuals to keep native owls as pets--they may only be possessed by trained, licensed individuals while being rehabilitated, as foster parents in a rehabilitation facility, as part of a breeding program, for educational purposes. I wonder why we don't follow this practice.

Rant over.

ABM replied on 13/10/2019 14:18

Posted on 13/10/2019 14:18

Very Confusing this wildlife stuff  undecided

BOT  --  Barn Owl Trust

BTO -- British Trust for Ornithology

Wherenext replied on 13/10/2019 16:08

Posted on 13/10/2019 16:08

Good on yer, Nellie. 

Rather disturbing occurrence for you. Let's hope the authorities agree with you.

nelliethehooker replied on 13/10/2019 17:58

Posted on 13/10/2019 17:58

Apart from the actual incident what got to me was the blatant way they were doing it, right next to a public footpath. I would have thought that they would have taken the birds away to a place well away from the public to take the photos.

Thanks for your support. I will keep you all updated if and when the BOT get in touch.,

neveramsure replied on 13/10/2019 19:16

Posted on 13/10/2019 19:16

It’s a tough one for me NTH.undecided

I was on a CL site just outside Bridlington two years ago and the owner had a young Barn Owl that he kept very good care of, even down to weighing any food each day to make sure it stayed healthy. It would be released to fly free each day and it returned to his glove for food. It was a beautiful bird and he allowed my OH to wear the glove for it to land on. She was over the moon.smile

As a wild-life lover I would rather see them in the wild though.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 15/10/2019 21:21

Posted on 15/10/2019 20:55 by nelliethehooker

No word yet from the Barn Owl Trust, so disappointed. I might repost to BTO and see what they have to say, if anything!undecided

Posted on 15/10/2019 21:21

Tell them a Radio station have contacted you Nells, it’ll renew their interest, it works with the RSPCA-not interested until they think they can big themselves up👍🏻, sad but true😕

nelliethehooker replied on 15/10/2019 21:58

Posted on 15/10/2019 21:21 by Rocky 2 buckets

Tell them a Radio station have contacted you Nells, it’ll renew their interest, it works with the RSPCA-not interested until they think they can big themselves up👍🏻, sad but true😕

Posted on 15/10/2019 21:58

I've sent the details to the RSPB tonight so watch this space.

nelliethehooker replied on 20/10/2019 19:18

Posted on 20/10/2019 19:18

Just a quick update.

It's been over a week since I sent my e-mail to the Barn Owl Trust and I've not had a reply from them!! The RSPB did respond saying "Barn owls can be legally kept as pets if they have been reared in captivity, are fitted with a microchip or loose ring and have a licence known as an Article 10 which is issued by the government.". They went on to say that I should contact the RSPCA with my concerns.....talk about passing the buck! I suspect that I'd get a similar response from them, as I've no actual photos of the guys or of the poor chick as it fell from the tree.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook