Lead Poisoning Research

Wherenext replied on 16/03/2022 19:57

Posted on 16/03/2022 19:57

A research paper has been published showing the continued effects of lead poisoning to Raptors in the Uk and Europe. They tend to eat the prey that has been killed but not collected.

In addition pheasant shoots still use buckshot, thus spreading the lead.

When, oh, when will the "hunters", I prefer a few stronger words but don't wish to be edited, start to think about the environment and the collateral damage they are doing and not just to the "prey" that they are killing?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/03/220316091725.htm

mickysf replied on 20/03/2022 08:08

Posted on 20/03/2022 08:08

Thanks Richard for your excellent contribution to the discussion which offers a positive and knowledgeable  insight into the changes now being made. Good news too that you yourself are in the process of making the change to non toxic shot.

You make very valid points about the use of non biodegradable materials in the cartridge body and that of the wadding. I’ve often wondered why, with regard to the spent cartridge itself, why this is not pickupable. I’m sure many do pick up but I still find spent cartridges littered around on my walks. I guess this is the thoughtless ones doing this. I know once gathered up the materials do need processing but at least they are not left out on the moors and the countryside. Good also to hear that many shoots are now banning plastic wadding. Fibre is the way to go don’t you think, after all, this material was the preferred one prior to plastic as was cardboard for the body.

I think, as you say, that door is ajar and now the pressure needs to be kept up on the Government in order to make this ‘detoxification’ of the sport outright law and not just a voluntary action. Yes, I’m so pleased there are enlightened shooters who are mindful and are acting but they are not the problem, its the ‘others’. Maybe it hinges on those like you to put some extra pressure on them. The final ‘tidying up’, as you say is coming, it just needs the knobs on those doors pushing a little harder.👍

richardandros replied on 20/03/2022 08:25

Posted on 20/03/2022 08:25

Totally agree about spent cartridges causing litter Micky - and it annoys me as well. I always go home with as many cartridges as I left with - only some go in the re-cycling! The shoot I used to go picking-up on (can't often afford to go as 'gun' on driven shoots!) always had one of the 'pickers-up' go round with a magnetic prod to pick up all the spent cartridges.

In case you're wondering - no Meg isn't a working dog - she's too soft and doesn't like getting her feet wetsmile 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook