Ring necked parakeets

shellman replied on 25/02/2021 09:46

Posted on 25/02/2021 09:46

Back in November David Chapman wrote an article about ring neck parakeets in which he praises their being around but admits they do compete with our native species, a fact he glosses over as if it does not matter.  I've just read an article in another magazine that features parakeets and how they affect our native birds by keeping them off bird tables, taking nesting sites from other species that use holes in trees like wood peckers. They also cause major damage to fruit farmers crops and as such are on a very limited list of birds that can shot for so doing. The article I read refers to them as the grey squirrels of the skies. If we are to act as conservationists then lets conserve our native species not invaders. Please do not encourage parakeets in any way.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 19/03/2021 12:07

Posted on 19/03/2021 09:43 by JVB66

Back in the late 1960s ,i was working on the Woodhead Route out of Sheffield Victoria, between Penistone and Woodhead there was never a shortage of "rail kill" grouse surprised 

Posted on 19/03/2021 12:07

No one ever said they’re clever but they are a fave of mine, them & the Winter Curlew👍🏻

mickysf replied on 02/05/2021 21:12

Posted on 02/05/2021 21:12

Wildlife neither respects or acknowledges political or any other human defined boundaries. Species only thrive in suitable habitats. The now accepted collared dove was just one other pioneer of new territory albeit in our back yard. Have they impacted on the indigious wildlife? The Rose Ringed parakeet is just another wild bird making a habitat in a suitable environment (possibly as a result of some human help) but that's how it works! 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook