What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Pliers replied on 19/09/2020 20:33

Posted on 19/09/2020 20:33

Just checking out links to Snettisham reserve and spotted this photo of myself and OH enjoying the wader movement this morning. It was taken by Les Bunyan, a chap I’ve known for years, sorry I didn’t spot him, and he obviously didn’t recognise us. ( all birders look the same at 8am!)

And, yes, it really was that good 🙂🙂🙂

nelliethehooker replied on 20/09/2020 19:39

Posted on 20/09/2020 19:39

After spotting 3 young Goosanders twice on different stretches of the  R Mint, today we saw at least 7 together just down stream from the Cowan Head Mill.

RedKite replied on 26/09/2020 13:33

Posted on 26/09/2020 13:33

Just had lunch at putting dishes in the sink and looked out of the window and a Hare was sat on our wall we have seen it before as it likes to come in and chew on the wildflowers I have near the kitchen window so hopped off when I open the window and the other sighting was about 20 Little Egrets flying over low near our bedroom window had enough time to see the feet colouring so knew what they were an unusual sight here as no local marshes except a few local ponds about. Seems our local Redstarts have moved further south and the robins are about singing away they do not like the Redstarts about.

brue replied on 27/09/2020 10:45

Posted on 27/09/2020 10:45

Haven't seen a hare for years in our home area. frown

We've been lucky enough to see a flock of golden plovers on the NE coast, lots of other birds too, a good time of the year. smile

nelliethehooker replied on 27/09/2020 20:59

Posted on 27/09/2020 20:59

Interesting day started with skeins of geese (Pink Footed?) heading NE over the site, the spotted huge "clouds" of Geese flying above the Solway which appeared to be at full tide. On the morning walk there was a dead sheep surrounded by crows, with a Buzzard and a Greater Black Backed Gull enjoying a feast. Fortunately the farmer retrieved the carcass son afterwards. Then during our walk saw 3 Bull Finches, a Dipper, and a couple of Grey Herons on Annan Water, and about 6 Nuthatches close together in a small group of trees by the river. This evening there was much bird activity and noise around the site, Tree and House Sparrows, Chaffinches, Starlings etc which suddenly ceased when a Raptor scattered them. It took quite a while before they returned.

Wherenext replied on 27/09/2020 21:20

Posted on 27/09/2020 21:20

Nice day Nellie.

Obviously the birds found the recycling centre. In nature not much goes to waste.

The nearest we've come to unusual sightings today was when we were speaking to our near neighbour and their little 4 year old pointed at an overhead Buzzard and waved at it and said "Plane!"

Back to the blackboard I think.

Fisherman replied on 29/09/2020 18:18

Posted on 29/09/2020 18:18

Just back from wild trout fishing in the remote uplands. Super day. Toped by a stag coming down to drink, not seeing me and upwind. Was oblivious for about 10 mins before ambling off. In full Antler mode. Unfortunately cant download picture

brue replied on 30/09/2020 13:43

Posted on 30/09/2020 13:43

We received a lovely photo of a group of Cranes in full flight on the Somerset levels (taken by a fishing friend) if I can work out how to transfer it I'll post it.

Glad you enjoyed your trip out Fisherman. smile

Fisherman replied on 30/09/2020 14:11

Posted on 30/09/2020 14:11

The irony of my great experience is that these Deer were released illegally here in Mid wales. They are creating havoc amongst the recently planted trees - the very things the environmentalists want us to do. Just shows how short sighted  people are.

brue replied on 30/09/2020 14:29

Posted on 30/09/2020 14:29

Ah well, you've managed the photo download! And there'll no doubt be management plans in place for the future. I like seeing deer (in the right place. wink)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook