Gardening: Hints and Help!

Takethedogalong replied on 22/02/2015 10:58

Posted on 22/02/2015 10:58

Gardening is probably my favourite hobby, and at this time of year, I love to have a good look around my own garden and decide what needs doing, does everything thrive where it is planted, and do I have space for anything else to change the look of the garden a little bit!

With this is mind, I wondered if like minded enthusiasts are interested in sharing good ideas, suggesting help or remedies for problems and just generally "chatting gardens and gardening"?

As an opening suggestion, there may be a few out there that share my love of a tiny but utterly lovely little flower, Convallaria Majaris, beloved of Spring Brides and flower arrangers, better known as deliciously scented "Lily of the Valley". Usually gorgeous in white, but you can actually find it, with a bit of searching, in shades of pale to quite bright pink! It is called CM var "Rosea", and smells just as lovely.

Anyone else got ideas to share?

brue replied on 13/01/2021 17:15

Posted on 13/01/2021 17:15

HostaH. I've grown Penstemon cuttings, they're much easier than I thought so I'll be taking more this year!

I went on a visit to Kingston Maurward in Dorset a couple of years ago, they have a national Penstemon collection and the gardener showing us round gave me confidence to have a go. Nice gardens there if you ever get the chance to go.

I miss our local gardening club and all the visits out we normally do and all the get togethers, we usually have a supper at this time of the year, All these small things add up. 🌷

Impy replied on 15/01/2021 16:26

Posted on 15/01/2021 16:26

I treated myself to a winter iris (the same as your photo) last year, I was so taken with a large clump of them growing in a near by garden, such a pleasure to see them in flower especially at this time of the year.  We also have a witch hazel (all yellow flowers) which usually flowers in late January/February, I haven't seen any flowers out yet, lots of buds, will have to have a closer look tomorrow.

brue replied on 15/01/2021 16:53

Posted on 15/01/2021 16:53

Impy. The witch hazel in the photo is called Jelena, nice scent close up.  Hope you see yours in flower soon, it's been milder here than sme areas. smile

brue replied on 06/02/2021 11:13

Posted on 06/02/2021 11:13

Beautiful morning, blue skies, all the fruit tree pruning done. smile

Takethedogalong replied on 06/02/2021 17:03

Posted on 06/02/2021 17:03

I have bought some more Dahlia tubers today for later in year. I like to start them off early in big pots in greenhouse, and then use them to fill in any gaps in a herbaceous border. Got some Mesembryanthemum seeds as well. Dad used to plant these for Mum, so I shall be sending some up to her garden. They are such cheerful colours, very nice at front of a display.

brue replied on 06/02/2021 17:10

Posted on 06/02/2021 17:10

I've got a box of seed packets which I'm going to start looking at over the next few days, see which ones need to be started off first.

I grew some mesum-whatsits last year TDA, they were a great success, had to give some away as the seeds were prolific.

Sent OH out to the greenhouse today to cover up some of his beloved plants which won't do well if the temperature drops.

hostahousey replied on 07/02/2021 10:03

Posted on 07/02/2021 10:03

Planted some Sweet Peas indoors about 10days ago, they have shot up to about 4''. I think this growth may be too quick, what's the best option for these , or should I start again? I also planted some Ranunculus corms, never seen these before what strange plants, one just peeping through. I thought they may fill some gaps. Anyone else grow these plants ?

Takethedogalong replied on 07/02/2021 10:36

Posted on 07/02/2021 10:36

Yes HH, I have grown Ranunculus, but not for a while. Can’t remember much about them to be honest🤔 I have got some Anemones corms to grow in a pot as well. These were my Grandma’s favourites. 

Our big task in the garden this year is to move our greenhouse. It’s not huge, but one side is up against a wall, and we need to get to a rampant ivy that has taken hold between wall and glass. Going to need careful planning. Got to take out each pane, then move frame onto lawn, clear ivy out, then put back together again. It’s full of over Wintering plants at the moment😬

hostahousey replied on 07/02/2021 14:25

Posted on 07/02/2021 10:36 by Takethedogalong

Yes HH, I have grown Ranunculus, but not for a while. Can’t remember much about them to be honest🤔 I have got some Anemones corms to grow in a pot as well. These were my Grandma’s favourites. 

Our big task in the garden this year is to move our greenhouse. It’s not huge, but one side is up against a wall, and we need to get to a rampant ivy that has taken hold between wall and glass. Going to need careful planning. Got to take out each pane, then move frame onto lawn, clear ivy out, then put back together again. It’s full of over Wintering plants at the moment😬

Posted on 07/02/2021 14:25

Best of luck with that Takethedogalong, Yes  the Ranunculus corms ( very weird looking ) corms look similar to small crabs which need to be soaked in water for about 2/3hours before planting , they then double in size. The flowers come in all  colours which look really vibrant.So thought I would give them a try.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook