Best reads - Club Together Book Club?

RowenaBCAMC replied on 03/01/2014 12:47

Posted on 03/01/2014 12:47

I'm just about coming to the end of Deborah Moggach’s book, Heartbreak Hotel. I found it a very enjoyable read and very amusing. But what should I read next? Any recommendations? 

I also wondered if anyone would be interested in a Club Together book club? According to a member survey earlier last year, reading is the most recurring leisure activity whilst caravanning. I know I’m a book worm and I’m sure there’s a few of us out there who enjoy a good read. Anyone interested or any suggestions? 

nelliethehooker replied on 09/06/2022 21:47

Posted on 09/06/2022 21:47

After reading Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer and enjoyed it, I have now just purchased The Shut Eye by her.

Today on FB there was an ad for TG Reid's What Lies Beneath, the 3rd in the DCI Bone series, for 99p. As I have the first two I thought I'd get it, but going onto Amazon it was listed at £2:99. So back to FB and made comment asking what was going on. Got a response from the author thanking me and to say that the error had been corrected, so I did eventually get it for 99p.  Just goes to show that one doesn't just have to accept what one sees, and that those who place their products on FB also read the post concerning their products.

Wherenext replied on 26/06/2022 15:19

Posted on 26/06/2022 15:19

Had an enjoyable few nights (not often I can say that these dayssurprisedsmile) reading Michael Connelly and his latest Ballard and Bosch book, The Dark Hours.

Slow and methodical to get going and set the scene but a hurry up from mid book. Recommended as usual.

These characters don't seem to get stale the same way that Reacher books do. Funnily enough the MiL bought the latest Reacher book in Tesco whilst we were away so I'll read it but I haven't bothered to order it from the library.

Must see if I can get my hands on that Nixon book I mentioned a few weeks ago.

ABM replied on 26/06/2022 22:42

Posted on 03/03/2022 21:37 by nelliethehooker

I've read the first 7 of the series and was hoping for a follow-up to The Photographer but there doesn't seem to be one. I also have Watch Him Die to read, when I get round to it.

Have just read The Snowdonia Killings, by Simon McCleaver, and wish I hadn't!! Must be one of the worst books I've ever read, and feel cheated at the price even though it was free!!😄

Posted on 26/06/2022 22:42

You shouldn't have got the book, Nellie,  just the cheeses  wink

Went back into my Kindle & probably made a bad, bad mistake because I've started re-reading the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant  from volume 1 --  I'll let you know how I've got on about New year !!embarassed

Wherenext replied on 28/06/2022 20:25

Posted on 28/06/2022 20:25

I notice that Kindle have "First in Series" books on sale, most at £0.99. 

If you interested in a crime novel set in Stalin's Russia (not the most enticing of "come and buy me" I realise) then buy Sam Eastland's "Eye of the Red Tsar". His "detective" if you can call him that makes for a good read.

brue replied on 03/07/2022 13:57

Posted on 03/07/2022 13:57

I've just finished the Ann Cleeves "Shetland" series. I know crime fiction is popular on here and these are good reads although I was quite glad to see Jimmy Perez sail off into the sunset! wink

Wish me luck, I'm now about to read an Iain Rankin book. smile

All paperbacks bought second hand on line and passed on to our local fund raising book room for further use.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/07/2022 14:09

Posted on 03/07/2022 14:09

If you like crime novels, try a Peter Robinson DCI Banks book, Brue. Again, they’re better than the TV series and not so 'deep' as the Ian Rankin Rebus stories.

Another series you might like is Damien Boyd’s Nick Dixon tales. Some of them are on Amazon for £1 at present. They are set around the Hurn Lane area😀

Like most series, it’s good to read all these in order if you can.

Wherenext replied on 03/07/2022 15:48

Posted on 03/07/2022 13:21 by Tinwheeler

Posted on 03/07/2022 15:48

Cheers TW. Haven't quite got to number 12 yet but it can wait.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/07/2022 15:56

Posted on 03/07/2022 15:48 by Wherenext

Cheers TW. Haven't quite got to number 12 yet but it can wait.

Posted on 03/07/2022 15:56

I collect them when they’re on offer and then queue them up and read them in order, WN. 😀

GTrimmer replied on 04/07/2022 16:24

Posted on 04/07/2022 16:24

Anyone who likes a good murder should look at the 'Inspector Tanner' series by David Blane, especially if  you ar a lover of the Norfol Broads !  This is a region I know and love, and can tell tat the author does too.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook