Garden Watering Dilemma

JohnM20 replied on 10/01/2023 09:21

Posted on 10/01/2023 09:21

With the forecast of hot weather again this year we have been considering putting in another water butt in addition to the 200ltr butt that we already have. This would cost us about £60.00. However, a water butt is only any good if there is rain to fill it and last year our existing butt remained empty for many weeks at a time. With this in mind, and because a full water butt only lasts us about a week, I'm now considering not bothering with a second one. Last year we had to use tap water for much of the summer although we did save all our washing up water etc on a daily basis. The cost of our tap water is less than £2.00 per 1,000ltrs so the cost of the second butt is the equivalent to about 30,000ltrs or enough water for at least six years on the basis that we are probably only needing to water for about five months of the year and are careful about what we water.

Environmentally we may not be doing the right thing by not getting a second butt, but (excuse the pun), how much water and energy does it take to make the water butt in the first place? Thankfully our reservoirs in Derbyshire didn't run dry last year but to try to help we have already decided that we will reduce the number of plants in pots and only water when absolutely necessary. The question is, are we making the right decision?

DEBSC replied on 11/01/2023 10:50

Posted on 11/01/2023 10:50

Eriba although obviously in the summer it will be dryer, I don’t think that it will change as much as you think, it’s a very wet County, it seems the North more than the South, not sure where you are. I used to work in Exeter and it would be beautiful weather all day, on arriving home OH would often say it had rained all day. Holidaymakers often complain they are unlucky to get a wet week, no, it’s very often a wet week. Even if you are away for a while most large pots will be fine if you move them to the thick shade under your trees, it will rain. We have been here nearly 40 years (almost locals) and we have never once watered our garden, only newly planted things and pot plants. And I have a vast amount of plants and shrubs. It’s such heavy rain this morning that Noah and his Ark has just floated past.

eribaMotters replied on 11/01/2023 12:46

Posted on 11/01/2023 12:46

DEBSC we are in Hatherleigh, about 10 miles north of Okehampton [aka Soakhampton] just off the A386.

I must admit the last 4 months have been a learning curve on finding the advantages and disadvantages of living in Devon.

Colin

DEBSC replied on 11/01/2023 13:39

Posted on 11/01/2023 12:46 by eribaMotters

DEBSC we are in Hatherleigh, about 10 miles north of Okehampton [aka Soakhampton] just off the A386.

I must admit the last 4 months have been a learning curve on finding the advantages and disadvantages of living in Devon.

Colin

Posted on 11/01/2023 13:39

I don’t think that it will be quite as wet as here. We used to have a farmer living next door born and bred Devonian, he always said at the village where we live, near Barnstaple just on the estuary, that we would always get the clouds emptying just as they come into the bay after crossing the Atlantic. He always seemed to know what he was talking about.

How do you like our roads. 😁 

eribaMotters replied on 11/01/2023 13:55

Posted on 11/01/2023 13:55

The roads are very variable. Long stretches of lovely smooth tarmac and sweeping curves, a joy to be on, and then potholes that would throw a cyclist or motorbike into a hedge. Traffic at present is very light, but we are expecting things to be a lot different come the tourists. 

Colin

Takethedogalong replied on 11/01/2023 21:00

Posted on 11/01/2023 21:00

You need a better gardening strategy if you are away for long periods of time. Pots and containers, hanging baskets are simply too difficult to maintain without water on a regular basis, so we ditched the vast majority of these years ago. If you are replacing plants, or re planting a section of the garden, then consider drought resistant plants, and dig in plenty of water retaining humous. Then put a deep layer of mulch, ideally something like bark on the top to stop things lower down drying out too quickly. That’s a long term plan. Then as others have said, catch as much rainfall as you can, in a variety of ways. Shower water can be diverted from fall pipes into water butts. If you have any fall pipes that go direct to ground, fit a pierced sock on the end to take some of the water away from the immediate fall area. Auto systems are an option, but will possibly use from mains.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook