Ham Radio

Radio Operator replied on 05/10/2012 22:18

Posted on 05/10/2012 22:18

Hi all

I have just purchased my first caravan and am seeking information on the best type of 40 metre antenna to use when on a site.

Are there any restrictions on the use use of radio equipment on  club sites?

Many thanks for reading this post

Frank G0GGH

IandL replied on 24/02/2023 09:38

Posted on 24/02/2023 09:38

I know that this is an old thread (11 years old!!) but I'm intrested in the same thing.  With the demise of the ARCC last year, there doesn't seem to be much going on that combines the two hobbies.  That could be because of an incompatability between them, but I doubt it - it's perhaps more likely that there just aren't many people out there who do both.

Anway, I'm "bumping the thread" to see if there's any interest ...

Best, Ian, M0KEO

peedee replied on 24/02/2023 09:55

Posted on 24/02/2023 09:55

I cannot see it as being a problem. I used to put up a terrestial TV yagi on top of a pole with the latter attached to the jockey wheel. Not a lot of difference really. However I would be wary of your transmitter interfering with equipment in nearby vans?

A Thunderpole wouldn't be much different to all those flag poles some festoon with lights etc.

peedee

Amesford replied on 25/02/2023 10:27

Posted on 25/02/2023 10:27

When I asked a warden about setting up a ham radio aerial he reply was "as long as its within your pitching area and not a trip hazard then it's ok. my choice of aerial was a Norcal doublet each leg was 20 foot long and 28 feet of open feeder set up as an inverted V supported  by a 7mtr fishing pole and a manual tuner this tuned the 10 to 40 mtr bands  ( I have also fitted a 4:1 balun on the end of feeder and used the rig tuner) this would just about fit in my pitching area and I managed some nice contacts ie Australia 

RedKite replied on 25/02/2023 17:20

Posted on 25/02/2023 17:20

OH has still got his call sign but no longer has any equipment now got other things he does these days, do remember being on the club site in North Devon and put his aerial up and we had good weather and there was a lift on so quite a few foreign contacts about 1988/9 not quite sure of the year and OH not sure either.

brue replied on 25/02/2023 18:35

Posted on 25/02/2023 18:35

My late Dad used to do it, his call sign went to a good friend. Nice to hear of others still enjoying their radio connections.  We watched someone rigged up on a cliff top S Devon site on one of our stays. people were interested in his efforts.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook