Military History

tigerfish replied on 18/03/2018 20:53

Posted on 18/03/2018 20:53

I suppose my enduring hobby since quite early Childhood has been Military History of the 20th Century.  Some original members may remember the Military quizzes that I used to place on here a few years ago.  They proved quite popular.

One of the spin offs of reading Military History has been an appreciation of the sometimes quite beautiful Poems that were written either by or for some of our service people. Two in Particular always bring a lump to my throat.

The First "High Flight" was  written by a young Fighter Pilot  John Gillespie Magee Jr in the early 40's  He died a few weeks after writing it.  Today it is well known by aircraft enthusiasts and I recommend that you look it up.

But for me the most emotive is the Poem "The Life that I have" written by a SOE handler for one of his Agents Violette Szabo.  Violette Szabo was a French National working as a British Agent in France for the British SOE.  The poem became her code signature.  She was eventually captured by the Germans tortured and Shot.  Her story was related in the post war movie "Carve her name with Pride"

The Poem still makes my eyes smart today.

"The life that I have 

is all that I have

and the life that I have is yours.

The love that I have, Of the life that I have, is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have, A rest I shall have, yet Death will be but a pause.

For the peace my years, in the long green grass, will be yours and yours and yours."

It is too easy to forget the sacrifices of young people like Violette who in her late 20's left her young child in London to go underground in occupied France in an effort to shorten the war.

It is 74 years ago this week, that she left the UK on her first but final mission.

TF

GlosJive replied on 24/03/2018 18:03

Posted on 21/03/2018 12:18 by Kennine

My main interest at this moment is with the 2nd world war. I have been recently studying the exploits of the 8th Army and their push from North Africa into Italy via Sicily, The Landings and the extreme resistance of the terrain to allow any proper movement of troops and munitions made this campaign very dangerous, especially around the area of Monte Cassino. 

Posted on 24/03/2018 18:03

One of my future researches is to find the path my grandfather followed with the 8th Army, he was REME so a visit to Lyneham on the cards.

Currently reading about the battle of Kohima.

tigerfish replied on 24/03/2018 22:32

Posted on 24/03/2018 22:32

A very famous battle and the Origin of the Kohima Epitaph which follows Royal British Legion Remembrance services.

"When you go Home, Tell them of us, and say - that for your tomorrows, we gave our Today"

TF

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook