Photo & Video editing software

replied on 21/08/2019 07:00

Posted on 21/08/2019 07:00

This year I'm trying to get back into photography and video recording, some lesser some more than, after a lengthy absence, how technology has moved on!

After advice on here, hence seeking more, I decided to not go down the DSLR route but go with a bridge camera  Canon SX70, fits the bill superbly. This came with Canons own software.

I also bought a Mavic Air drone, it can record upto 4k, my last video camera was a Hi8, how many years back was that!

Anyway I cant use the 4k function on the drone as neither my old laptop or main computer in the house has the power to edit.

So I've bought a mid range gaming laptop, if it edits 4k good, if not not a great loss really as I have a collection of raw video's to start on, which will keep me busy, but fingers crossed.

I'm after editing software suggestions, for both stills and video, separate packages I would expect. Years ago I used Pinnacle, Ive looked today at the demo and my its grown in complexity!

Simple is good at this learning curve stage.

macwomble replied on 21/08/2019 18:24

Posted on 21/08/2019 18:24

For photo editing you might like to try GIMP. It's a freebie download too. Seem to remember reading somewhere it's very similar to photoshop (not that I've used photoshop to compare....it's too darned expensive).

Graydjames replied on 17/11/2019 16:58

Posted on 17/11/2019 16:58

I know your post is quite old now, but I only just saw it. I used to do a lot of video editing - less now. I mostly used, and still use on occasion, Adobe Premiere. However, this is complex for your needs I think - especially on a laptop where you are short of screen space - and rather expensive. (Unless you subscribe to the whole Adobe Creative Suite which is relatively cheap at about £40 a month given the massive amount of very powerful software it provides for all graphics, film and layout related work - including Photoshop for your still editing). But, from your post, that would obviously be overkill for you for sure, as well as hard to learn if you have not used Adobe software before.

I have used a lot of different video editing packages at the cheap end of the market; AVS, Windows Movie Maker, Movavi and others; but the one I would highly recommend above all of these is Wondershare's Filmora9. It is very easy to use and learn - the most intuitive by far - has some excellent, advanced features, lacking in many other cheaper end products and, above all, IT WORKS.

There is a more advanced version - I think it is called Wondershare Pro - but the basic Filmora 9 is all you would need I think. You can get a lifetime licence for $69.99 

ALeesLLD replied on 24/02/2020 12:43

Posted on 24/02/2020 12:43

I use the Adobe Creative suite for all my photography and video editing (I'm jealous of the drone). It's ideal and they have handy tutorials online for those a little less experienced in the world of editing. 

I did media at university and we used it for everything and now I can't move away from it. It's ideal and have access to everything I need including After Effects for those cool looking titles and photo-grading software such as Lightroom. 

It's not that expensive if you get it on a monthly subscription. 

peedee replied on 27/02/2020 08:10

Posted on 27/02/2020 08:10

I use Adobe Photoshop (limited editition) for stills but don't think it is available anymore? I do have a video editor, Roxio Creator 2010, but find it quite tedious to use. Tto be honest I am not that keen on video and that could be down to me being too lazy to learn how to use it properly. I bought it for the many other functions it performs e.g burning and copying discs. Its a bit long in the tooth now but It gets so little use that I cannot be bothered to update it. Perhaps the latest version is ok.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook