Day trip to the EU

crusader replied on 04/11/2017 23:39

Posted on 04/11/2017 23:39

Should you want to take your pet on a day return trip to the eu you can just have it wormed in the UK this covers you in the same way as you would returning from the EU E.G. 24 hours before return. I found this out because normally our dog goes to the vet in the EU to be wormed between 24hrs and 5 days prior to our return but we wanted to visit the eu returning within 24hrs, but according to DEFRA  you can use the same rules but worm them in the UK thus making a day trip with you pet possible

LordandLadyGnome replied on 08/12/2017 11:36

Posted on 08/12/2017 11:36

Hi Crusader,

That is an interesting statement you have made.  We have never gone on day trips to France as I had always assumed I would have to spend £50 and several hours finding a vet.

If this is correct, I would assume you could also take advantage of the short stay ferry fares as long as you stayed less than the five days following worming. Do you think this is correct?

Did you get this advice from DEFRA staff or was it on their website?

This could be extremely useful as we usually take annual Red Pennant Insurance, and Overseas caravan insurance.

Regards

Metheven replied on 08/12/2017 16:21

Posted on 08/12/2017 16:21

It is correct as it says under 'Short trip' on Gov website HERE but the dog still needs its Passport stamped and signed and probably just as expensive, but probably easier to arrange.

ValDa replied on 08/12/2017 22:01

Posted on 08/12/2017 22:01

Interesting - because this year my son (who has a dog which is truly terrified by fireworks) was thinking about taking him to a hotel in northern France, well away from fireworks as an overnight trip and Christmas present shopping combined, but thought that the vet requirement would be a problem.  If anyone has actually done this could they confirm that this actually works in practice.

brue replied on 09/12/2017 10:58

Posted on 09/12/2017 10:58

It says on a short trip you must wait 24 hours before returning so it is sounds like a long day out?

Metheven replied on 09/12/2017 12:28

Posted on 09/12/2017 10:58 by brue

It says on a short trip you must wait 24 hours before returning so it is sounds like a long day out?

Posted on 09/12/2017 12:28

Not if you have it done on the English side the day before you go (24 hrs), you then can return as quick as you like, or within the 5 days max since it was given and stamped.

The 24 hours must elapse after the worming, then you are free to return, so get it done the day before.

KeithandMargaret replied on 10/12/2017 10:59

Posted on 10/12/2017 10:59

We've done it.

Our Vet did the treatment on Thursday, we crossed early on Friday morning and returned on Monday afternoon by Eurotunnel.

Most UK Vets have never done the treatment and the Pet Passport signing/stamping so you'll need to check that they've filled in the relevant details and dated it correctly before you leave the Vets.

The Vet charged £35 - dearer than some French Vets but cheaper than others – and with Eurotunnel fees it came to around £70.

If we'd put him in Kennels for four days the costs would have been similar to what we paid to take him with us.

Ringing around your local Vets may get varying prices to save a pound or two but it may be better using your own Vet if you're happy with them.

artyboo replied on 16/12/2017 08:09

Posted on 16/12/2017 08:09

We are about to do this. I have got an afternoon train booked so will get the dogs 'wormed' Weds morning then drive down to Folkestone and come back Sunday (Christmas Eve).  I haven't done it before so I will let you know if anything goes wrong 😧

artyboo replied on 29/12/2017 08:04

Posted on 29/12/2017 08:04

Well we did it.

I took the dogs to the vet Weds morning, drove down to Folkestone went to France then came home on the Sunday.

All completely without a hitch.

As long as you come home between 24 & 120 hours after they have been wormed there is no problem, regardless do where they have been wormed.

The biggest bonus for me was the cost. The vet in Eperleques charged €66 in September. My vet charged me £12 !

Traficlady replied on 02/01/2018 08:50

Posted on 02/01/2018 08:50

I have a monthly health plan at the vet’s and the wormers are included in that. I make sure I get enough tablets to take for the return journey but I still have paid the French vets between €35 and €45 to administer them.

Nora

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook