Dog Walkers need to take responsibility

Oneputt replied on 05/03/2018 08:03

Posted on 05/03/2018 08:03

This isn't an anti dog rant but an anti dog owner rant.  On Saturday, on a nature reserve a dog savaged a Muntjac deer, and when I say savaged I really mean it.  The rear end of the deer was in a terrible state and had to be put down.  I have photos of the deer but decided not to post them. 

There was a witness to this act so hopefully the owner will be prosecuted but it's very likely the dog could be put down.  I've often ask dog walkers to put their dogs on leads in nature reserves only to be told to F*** O**.   

If your on a nature reserve or on an area of ground nesting birds please put your dog on a lead.

Kennine replied on 07/03/2018 09:33

Posted on 07/03/2018 09:33

Calm down people.....It's only a forum - not real life.

Surely no sheep would be injured and farmers would not need to protect their flocks if the title of this thread was followed correctly. i.e  " Dog Walkers need to take responsibility" 

Taking responsibility means that their dog is completely under control at all times. If that means that the dog has to be on a lead so be it.  Antisocial behaviour by dog owners is unacceptable and I would hate see any dogs being shot.  But --- It's not the Farmers fault that a dog or dogs have been let loose to worry and kill his sheep. 

cool

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 07/03/2018 09:40

Posted on 07/03/2018 09:17 by

We witnessed a glaring example of stupidity by  dog owners in Bakewell Derbyshire. There is (or was) a meadow alongside the river adjacent to the ancient stone bridge, entrance was via style and notices clearly exhibited pointing out the importance of keeping dogs on a lead during lambing . A couple appeared with a small dog Border terrier I think and it was either let off or slipped its lead but there immediately ensued a very unpleasant incident. The dog not much more than a pup chased the sheep and managed to get its teeth into a lambs leg , the male owner eventually retrieved the dog which was totally out of control but his wife them managed to accidentally let it loose again and the chase restarted. Whilst the owner were indulging in a loud altercation with each other (over who had released it) the landowner appeared  fortunately for all concerted he was on the opposite bank of the river or I think violence would have ensued. We were just glad he wasn't armed.

Just an observation from a neutral bystander so no questioning my sanity on this occasion please.

Posted on 07/03/2018 09:40

You’re immune AD, you don’t have red neck tendencies👍🏻😊

replied on 07/03/2018 09:55

Posted on 07/03/2018 09:40 by Rocky 2 buckets

You’re immune AD, you don’t have red neck tendencies👍🏻😊

Posted on 07/03/2018 09:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 07/03/2018 10:23

Posted on 07/03/2018 09:55 by

In Englisht?

Posted on 07/03/2018 10:23

As I understand it, Rocky is saying you’re not a gun toting cowboy out to shoot dogs on sight. 

Did you think it was an insult? Far from it. 

moulesy replied on 07/03/2018 11:50

Posted on 07/03/2018 11:50

In fairness, if I were a farmer I'm pretty sure I'd be frustrated and annoyed at any incidents involving thoughtless and careless dog owners on my land.

As a dog owner and walker I know that I get frustrated and annoyed at thoughtless and  careless farmers who deliberately obstruct footpaths, fail to maintain stiles and fail to reinstate footpaths after planting across fields.

Fortunately in both cases incidents are relatively uncommon but utterly wrong where they do occur.

RowenaBCAMC replied on 07/03/2018 13:57

Posted on 07/03/2018 13:57

This discussion has got very heated and posts have been removed. As people have had the opportunity to post I will now close this discussion. I fully appreciate that this is a topic members are very passionate about and thank you to those who have kept the conversation on track and posted constructively. 

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook