Dogs and Beaches in Yorkshire

Takethedogalong replied on 04/02/2022 10:34

Posted on 04/02/2022 10:34

I must admit Parvovirus did cross my mind, having had a dog many many years ago that fell very ill with it, despite being vaccinated. I also wouldn’t be surprised if it is found to be something C19 related, given just how prevalent it is in the human population. Affecting canines in a different way🤔

More worryingly, I do think dog ownership is changing. There are now many, many more owners new to having a dog, too many of which are from overseas and puppy farms, unregulated and appallingly bad breeding conditions. I have lost count of the number of dogs I have seen with docked tails and cropped ears, and with jaw deformities. Many of course are rescues, and hopefully are now getting some love and good care after a bad start to their little lives, but I also suspect far too many are impulse buys, cheap from the puppy farms, and can the owners afford the vet bills? 

richardandros replied on 07/02/2022 12:49

Posted on 07/02/2022 12:49

It seems you are partially right, ttda - the latest thinking is that it's something called Canine Enteric Coronavirus and there are outbreaks every year - but this year, it's been much more marked. Apparently, it has nothing to do with Covid 19, although it is a related virus.  It also has nothing specifically to do with beaches although there has been a definite spike in Yorkshire.

Link

ABM replied on 16/04/2023 22:34

Posted on 16/04/2023 22:34

Over 12 months have passed now  ~~  Is the world out there fairly safe for the pups now, please  ??

richardandros replied on 17/04/2023 06:36

Posted on 16/04/2023 22:34 by ABM

Over 12 months have passed now  ~~  Is the world out there fairly safe for the pups now, please  ??

Posted on 17/04/2023 06:36

I did wonder Brian - after Meg went down with that serious vomiting bout over Christmas which resulted her spending Boxing Day at the Emergency Vet's on a drip. But that said - she is on the beach most days and mixes with lots of dogs down there - to no ill effect. So it looks as if, perhaps, it has gone away.

ABM replied on 19/04/2023 12:41

Posted on 19/04/2023 12:41

I sincerely hope so since it was so bad for the animals, and so worrying for the Owners and the Walkers.  Lets hope for the best  wink

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook