taking my dog to spain any advice please

ray mc replied on 09/08/2017 21:58

Posted on 09/08/2017 21:58

Hi, my big long haired but very friendly german shepherd is coming to spain with us but I an reading conflicting things on various blog sites. He.s been to france with us and well received everywhere, as the French appear to be a nation of dog lovers, but, I hear spain can be a little different? I am led to believe he may even be classed as a potential dangerous breed? I assure you , he,s a big softy. so I have prepared to purchase muzzles, for public places, and keep him off the beach. has anyone got any advice or experience of traveling to spain with a big dog, we are going to costa brava,
Ray

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 10/08/2017 19:23

Posted on 10/08/2017 19:23

Providing your papers are up to date and you are a responsible dog owner as I am sure you are, you should have no problems.  We went to Spain last yer (winter trip) and took our Spaniel with us.  She was welcomed on all sites and there were many different dogs on the Spanish sites - particularly those who take the Brits over winter.  

ray mc replied on 10/08/2017 21:26

Posted on 10/08/2017 21:26

ah that's great, thanks for your reassuring reply  Oxfordeagle, do you recommend any vets for the mandatory worming and check up?

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 14/09/2017 18:11

Posted on 14/09/2017 18:11

Apologies for the late response - was away.

To answer the question - it all depends on where you are taking the boat from on your return journey.  We usually travel from Belgium to Hull as we are based in Yorkshire and so we used a vet in the middle of France.  This allows the dog to settle after the worm tablet or jab - and also gives you a margin of error if you have a problem.

This year (2017) we had our dogs treated by a vet in the middle of France - we now have two - and I was positively surprised with the cost of Euros 40 for both.  In the South of France where we were holidaying, the cost was Euros 135 with one vet and Euros 104 with another,  So maybe the moral of the story is to avoid any vet near a ferry port and ask around before making a commitment.

Happy travels!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook