Audi A6 Avant (C8) as a tow car.

Trevlac replied on 13/10/2022 11:55

Posted on 13/10/2022 11:55

I had towed successfully with an Audi A6 Avant (C8 model). So I took the opportunity to purchase a 2022 version of the same car, with a factory fitted towbar. Our first tow was to be to Godrevy Park in Cornwall. About a mile from home, we heard a loud bang from the boot area. The banging increased, so we returned home. There was no apparent visible cause of the problem. 

I reported it to the Audi dealer I purchased the car from, who couldn’t look at it for two weeks. I took it to my local Audi dealer who advised not to tow with the car. I cancelled the holiday. My local dealer refitted the towbar, which didn’t resolve the problem. Audi UK advised fitting a new towbar which was ordered, and fitted, but didn’t resolve the problem. 

The dealer I bought the car from loaned me another Audi A6 Avant C8 of the same age with a factory fitted towbar so that I could take the caravan on holiday. This car suffered the same problem. (To a lesser degree) I was advised that it was OK to tow with this car. 

Audi UK then advised refitting the new towbar in a certain manner (technical), which didn’t resolve the problem. Further investigation had found another A6 in Germany, suffering the same problem. 

But there didn’t appear to be a solution. So I tried to ‘reject’ the car, but the dealer would not accept my rejection. They did agree to buy the car back from me at reduced price. Due to the stress and inconvenience this situation was causing, I agreed to the deal. 

Audi UK showed no sign of any goodwill towards me for the problem I have experienced and the testing only I could perform. Be aware.

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

allanandjean replied on 13/10/2022 14:59

Posted on 13/10/2022 14:59

Hi Trevlac, Sorry to hear of your problem and must say I was expecting it to relate to the tow bar electrics, an issue quite a few have had.

I am puzzled as I have had two new, factory order, cars, both Q5s, with a factory fitted bar and understood that the only way to get such a bar was exactly that-at the factory-so presumed that removal was not possible.

Although a mute point now, has any possible cause been mentioned?

viatorem replied on 15/10/2022 17:09

Posted on 15/10/2022 17:09

Doesn't sound like it's fit for the purpose you purchased it for, I would get onto the club legal team.

Trevlac replied on 20/10/2022 15:58

Posted on 15/10/2022 17:09 by viatorem

Doesn't sound like it's fit for the purpose you purchased it for, I would get onto the club legal team.

Posted on 20/10/2022 15:58

The club legal team advised going the legal route, but that would be another nightmare I didn't want.

Trevlac replied on 20/10/2022 16:01

Posted on 13/10/2022 14:59 by allanandjean

Hi Trevlac, Sorry to hear of your problem and must say I was expecting it to relate to the tow bar electrics, an issue quite a few have had.

I am puzzled as I have had two new, factory order, cars, both Q5s, with a factory fitted bar and understood that the only way to get such a bar was exactly that-at the factory-so presumed that removal was not possible.

Although a mute point now, has any possible cause been mentioned?

Posted on 20/10/2022 16:01

As I don't now own the car, I am out of the Audi loop. I previously towed with two of the same A6 (C8) models which were OK. The later car had the problem. Towbars can be a dealer fit, but are horrendously expensive.  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook