Caravanning with an Oxygen Concentrator

Photo4x4 replied on 05/12/2021 16:44

Posted on 05/12/2021 16:44

Hello

I am trying to get information from anyone who currently goes caravanning and has to use an 'oxygen concentrator'.

My wife has recently (in the past few days) been sent home from hospital and now needs a constant oxygen supply (nothing to do with COVID-19). This is being done via an oxygen concentrator machine with additional apparatus for filling oxygen bottles for use whilst out and about. We are on a VERY steep learning curve here believe me as she was up until a few weeks ago fit and healthy.

The supplying company on behalf of SNHS can supply a portable machine for if we go on holiday, but it is a real faff and you need to book weeks in advance. We intend to carry on life as normally as possible and carry on caravanning as much as possible and are therefore researching purchasing a suitable portable oxygen concentrator for her. The machine needs to be able to deliver continuous flow for nighttime and pulse delivery during the day. 

I have a couple in mind that are small enough to be carried around during the day but also provide the therapy for nighttime.

One being Phillips Respironics SimplyGo, the other being Eclipse5.

I would like to speak to anyone who actually does go caravanning with one of these or similar. I have also asked on other caravan forums (forae/fora?), but am yet to find anyone who actually goes caravanning with their own oxygen machine.

So if YOU are using oxygen whilst caravanning or know of anyone who does can you please give me a shout.

Thanks

KH

Brian1 replied on 20/01/2022 14:01

Posted on 20/01/2022 14:01

"the Eclipse5 works from 110 v to 240 v and will simply keep going."

Are you sure about that ?  When devices advertise they work on 240 or 110, what they usually mean is that you can plug it in to either a 240v or 110v.  Devices that will accept degraded supply between these limits are by no means the norm.

If in doubt something like this might be worth getting.

lorriloo2 replied on 20/02/2022 16:53

Posted on 20/02/2022 16:53

I’m interested in this subject as my husband just been put on continuous oxygen via a concentrator.

He also got liquid oxygen for out & about,I know he can get that delivered at caravan site because he was on ambulatory oxygen few years ago.

would nhs provide a portable concentrator for caravan use. Also is it safe to use in a caravan because of confined space??

Photo4x4 replied on 20/02/2022 18:01

Posted on 20/02/2022 18:01

Hello

Brian1, yes, I checked with the manufacturer on that very point. I think it's like our 12v caravan TV, which also works on a variable voltage.

Lorriloo2, here in Scotland (SNHS) the machines are supplied through a company called DolbyVivisol. They will supply portable oxygen concentrators for you going on holiday. I do not know if the NHS in England do this, but whoever supplies your husband's concentrator will be able to tell you. Their contact number will be on the machine they have supplied.

Our concentrators, we have one upstairs and one downstairs, are the Invacare Perfecto2 model. Either can be attached to a small compressor machine that will fill the two portable oxygen bottles supplied for going out and about. These machines are a bit too big (but not impossible) to take with us in the caravan.

I have paid for a portable concentrator (Phillips Simply-Go) to use when we go away in the caravan. I'm still awaiting delivery after 3 months as there is a shortage of machines! This will save me having to book a loan machine in advance and will give us more flexibility.

The portable machine we have ordered will deliver continual flow and/or pulse and works on an internal battery or mains. There are therefore no compressed liquid oxygen bottles needed and therefore no delivery to the camp site. So no storage or delivery issues. It can be charged on 240v if on EHU, or through the 12v accessory socket in your car.

Is it safe in a caravan? I have been in contact with a caravanner who is in a similar situation and he happily goes caravanning with a portable concentrator (an Eclipse5). In the end I went for the Simply-Go as it can be carried or used on the trolley supplied. You will pay just over £2,000 for  portable machine - but what price independence?

You have to avoid naked flames when using these machines. So, if you are using the gas hobs in your caravan, if your husband is able to do so, then you could switch the machine off when cooking. Alternatively, use the electric hobs and microwave, or in good weather a BBQ outside. Or send him out with the machine to sit in the awning!

There are ways around every problem.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your husband. I will report back at a later date when we have the machine and have used it in the caravan.

In times like these, especially with Covid-19 restrictions being completely lifted in England, staying in a caravan seems an ideal way to get away but keep as safe as possible.

KH

Photo4x4 replied on 28/05/2022 17:41

Posted on 28/05/2022 17:41

Hello a further update...

SWMBO is no longer on 24-hour oxygen but just needs it when taking exercise, for example when out for a walk or climbing stairs. Well, there are no stairs in our caravan!

We eventually purchased a Philips Respironics Simply-Go Mini portable oxygen concentrator and backpack. This delivers pulse oxygen as needed and operates on a battery which can be charged in the car (12v) or on mains (230v). This means that we are not limited by the amount of oxygen we can carry.

We have since been away 3 times in our caravan (3 nights, 4 nights, and 11 nights) and have found the Simply-Go Mini is just perfect for what we need. We do take a couple of oxygen bottles with us to be on the safe side in the event of an equipment malfunction. The Simply-Go Mini cost us about £2,000, but what price your freedom? Money well spent as it allows us unlimited time away and is much lighter and neater than the oxygen tanks.

We only ever used our own on-board facilities any way and we take care to avoid crowded places. Caravanning is perfect for this.

So, what next? Well, we are planning a trip to France (a rural site in the Loire Valley) in September to 'dip our toes in the water' of foreign travel again, then next year who knows....

Twelve months ago, we were getting on with life and enjoying our retirement then BANG, SWMBO was hit with illness and suddenly all our plans went out of the window. Now we are getting back up on our feet and planning for the future again. Believe me if you want to do something then get on and do it NOW. Nothing bad will ever happen to you tomorrow, it is more urgent than that. If something bad is going to happen it will happen TODAY.

Our motto is: You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one.

Yes, things are now different than before, and we have to do a little more planning, but you only get one shot at this life, so you better make the most of it.

KH

Also posted in other forums...

Wherenext replied on 28/05/2022 19:39

Posted on 28/05/2022 19:39

Fantastically uplifting story Photo4x4. Without, I hope, sounding patronising, I can only say good on you and of course your very significant other half.

Some time ago it looked like we would only be able to continue with caravanning (and independence) by having to arrange dialysis a few times a week at wherever we happened to be (including abroad) but were determined to make it work for a long as possible. Fortunately things took a turn for the better and fooled everyone but I do admire those that have the will power to make the most of whatever they've been given.

Good of you to come on and give everyone an update. I'm sure it will have helped people in a  similar position.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook