Gas bottle options

hitchglitch replied on 24/10/2023 19:09

Posted on 24/10/2023 19:09

We have just ordered a new Wildax camper van. They have done away with the underslung LPG tank and now have a gas locker suitable for a 6kg cylinder. It seems that the choice would be Calor, Flogas or some sort of patio gas (B&Q are nearby). I wonder which would be best with regard to availability?

Roger McNair replied on 25/10/2023 17:54

Posted on 24/10/2023 19:09 by hitchglitch

We have just ordered a new Wildax camper van. They have done away with the underslung LPG tank and now have a gas locker suitable for a 6kg cylinder. It seems that the choice would be Calor, Flogas or some sort of patio gas (B&Q are nearby). I wonder which would be best with regard to availability?

Posted on 25/10/2023 17:54

Hi,

Congratulations on your new campervan. Why not see if a Safefill cylinder will fit the gas locker. Yes initial cost is a downside (and you need somewhere reasonably close to refill its) but its not all about cost - ease of use brings its own benefits! From experience we've foiund the following benefits: a significant payload saving over a conventional cylinder, ready supply of refill gas if you have somewhere local to fill it up, cheap refills compared to Calor, easy to refill abroad (most large supermarket filling stations in France and Spain have refilling points.   

Roger

hitchglitch replied on 25/10/2023 18:53

Posted on 25/10/2023 18:53

I think I will check that because it’s 7.5kg (75% of the capacity of most underslung tanks) and it’s only a little wider than Calor 6kg and lighter of course. We have a refill place not too far away.

cyberyacht replied on 31/10/2023 17:50

Posted on 31/10/2023 17:50

I've got two Safefills but that runs fridge, heating and water. Given your setup, the benefits might be marginal. Best ones - weight and fill-ups abroad. More solar would be a good choice as well. 

the browser replied on 30/12/2023 08:09

Posted on 30/12/2023 08:09

CALOR GAS RE-THINK 

Have just read information on FB 

Calor Gas have announced a u-turn decision and will be reintroducing the 3.9kg propane and 4.5kg butane bottles early in 2024. Initially limited stocks with newly refurbished bottles joining the network throughout the year.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook