How essential are fly screens in UK & Europe?

Dilby replied on 15/01/2024 10:20

Posted on 15/01/2024 10:20

Hi everyone - I'm currently converting a campervan here in the UK and have already installed the windows; to save money I opted for windows without any in-built flyscreens as I'm from Australia and to my experience there are next to no insects here compared to what I'm used to. However after doing some reading it appears there are lots of midges around scotland which has made me wonder how much of a problem they are around mainland Europe. I'm yet to line the van so there's still time to add some sort of fixed blind system pull-across fly screens, so I'm wondering if this is worth it if I plan to travel around the UK and western europe?

Thanks so much!

heddlo replied on 16/01/2024 14:48

Posted on 15/01/2024 18:04 by eurortraveller

Although we don’t have nets here at home with doors and windows open in summer, nor for sitting in the garden, and I never remember them at holiday houses, hostels or hotels in France. 

Posted on 16/01/2024 14:48

We stayed at a cottage in the Lake District a few years ago and they did have fly screens on doors.  We thought it such a good idea we bought some for home during the summer months (magnetic screens Amazon) they work well.   Not fussed about garden insects, we need them, I’m just not keen on flies indoors!  

nelliethehooker replied on 16/01/2024 19:58

Posted on 16/01/2024 19:58

We couldn't do without them in the caravan as we like to have the windows at least ajar if not fully open and they prevent the entry of most flies, which Flyte, our dog, can't abide. He gets very upset when he hears even a single fly in the van but funnily enough he is not bother by them when outside. I guess it must have something to do with the resonance of their buzzing in the van.

hitchglitch replied on 04/02/2024 21:39

Posted on 15/01/2024 10:20 by Dilby

Hi everyone - I'm currently converting a campervan here in the UK and have already installed the windows; to save money I opted for windows without any in-built flyscreens as I'm from Australia and to my experience there are next to no insects here compared to what I'm used to. However after doing some reading it appears there are lots of midges around scotland which has made me wonder how much of a problem they are around mainland Europe. I'm yet to line the van so there's still time to add some sort of fixed blind system pull-across fly screens, so I'm wondering if this is worth it if I plan to travel around the UK and western europe?

Thanks so much!

Posted on 04/02/2024 21:39

We mainly holiday in southern Europe and like to keep doors and windows open for night time ventilation so fly screens are essential. In fact, we chose a Wildax PVC (for delivery in March) because it has a fly screen for the sliding door. Our last coachbuilt had a/c which I like but OH doesn’t so I lost the argument.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook