Lowdhams

nelliethehooker replied on 13/05/2022 20:18

Posted on 13/05/2022 20:18

Spotted this on the Bailey Owners Facebook page.

"Phoned Lowdhams’s at Huddersfield today to book caravan in for service to be told they are closing in July and if I needed any warranty work would need to contact Nottingham branch."

Is this a sign of things to come? It is service and repair centre only, however there must be some major concerns within the company for them to decide to close this department with the ever increasing number of LVs out there. Have they got rid of too many experience mechanics during lockdown and can't employ decent replacements, are also having problems sourcing spare parts and are having many more of the newer units being returned because of major faults, as seen to be the case these days?

flatcoat replied on 26/05/2022 12:36

Posted on 26/05/2022 12:36

The decision to dispose of the site will have been taken years ago, and by that I mean probably 5 years. The local plan was published in 2019 following a lengthy process of site evaluation, public consultation and Inspection. In hindsight when we visited the sales dept in June 2020 with a view to buying a new caravan (having bought our 2 previous vans from them) the enthusiasm from sales staff was underwhelming and the deal offered derisory and disappointing. There were no follow up calls or effort to sell us the van we expressed interest in. I suspect the planned phased closure was already known. We bought from Glossop caravans and got a much, much better deal. 

nelliethehooker replied on 26/05/2022 19:41

Posted on 26/05/2022 19:41

As the decision to sell the land, for an obviously large amount which went into the directors pension fund ( your words, fc), was taken 5 yrs or so ago, then surely if they were interested in continuing the business there they could have found an unused industrial site, which had no planning permission for housing, on which to continue the business. 

Although you say that the market is not in decline then the statement by Lowdens themselves contradicts that as they, a long established company, are having difficulty obtaining supply of new units. Perhaps it's the manufacturers that are cutting back on production to make their units scare and so can then increase their prices because of rarity.

flatcoat replied on 27/05/2022 07:18

Posted on 26/05/2022 19:41 by nelliethehooker

As the decision to sell the land, for an obviously large amount which went into the directors pension fund ( your words, fc), was taken 5 yrs or so ago, then surely if they were interested in continuing the business there they could have found an unused industrial site, which had no planning permission for housing, on which to continue the business. 

Although you say that the market is not in decline then the statement by Lowdens themselves contradicts that as they, a long established company, are having difficulty obtaining supply of new units. Perhaps it's the manufacturers that are cutting back on production to make their units scare and so can then increase their prices because of rarity.

Posted on 27/05/2022 07:18

If I had a shake head emoji I would use it….. I despair. I am out of here. 

nelliethehooker replied on 27/05/2022 19:47

Posted on 27/05/2022 07:18 by flatcoat

If I had a shake head emoji I would use it….. I despair. I am out of here. 

Posted on 27/05/2022 19:47

Don't despair, fc, it's only a discussion forum. Just because one person's take on things doesn't agree with your's there no need to rush off and slash your wrists!wink Each one who posts on here are allowed to have their own opinion on things I believe.😁

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook