Motorhome security

joneil103 replied on 30/01/2023 08:07

Posted on 30/01/2023 08:07

My daughter is about to buy a Motorhome - a complete new venture - or adventurešŸ¤£! Any advice on the best security devices would be welcome . As caravanners we have always used both hitch lock and wheel lock but I guess is a bit different for a MH. I was wondering about steering wheel locks? They are picking it up in a couple of weeks so need to get this sorted. Thanks

BlueVanMan replied on 16/02/2023 12:27

Posted on 16/02/2023 12:27

There are probably hundreds of devices available some better than others but all capable of circumvention by a determined and/or professional thief. 

My advice would be to purchase a book called Motorhome Security Handbook which is free to download if you join a Forum Called "Motorhome Fun"Membership costs £20 pa but for a newbie it has great benefits including a 10% discount on Van Bitz Alarm.

The following are a handful of possible devices

Lock M Out window locks which I think are a worthwhile deterrent 

Laminate glass windows, cab and rear  £250-£350 (professional service by Pentagon for example) 

Good Alarm Van Bitz Growler is regarded as as good as you can get cost £600-£1000 ?

Tracker

Its all about what the Police call target hardening, in other words making it that bit more difficult for a thief so that they choose a different van to break into. 

The security handbook is about security awareness and practice as well as devices and I encourage my daughter to read it if she was going to be a motorhomer. The author owns/runs Motorhome Fun but was a security professional. 

Hope this helps 

Shivas dad replied on 18/08/2023 17:43

Posted on 18/08/2023 17:43

Here is my list of security devices I use on our motorhome, to hopefully deter theft and also to help if keys are lost or the worst happens.  Some are really cheap, the wheelclamp the most expensive, apart from the tracker subscription.

When I'm parked up on my drive at home, I have a Stronghold wheel clamp on one wheel, and a claw lock on another. When trouring I leave the Stronghold at home on the car and just take the claw which is easier to carry.
Inside I have a Milenco steering wheel lock and also turn the drivers seat to face the back and then use a seatbelt car lock – a steel loop lock that locks into the seatbelt buckle on the seat, looped round the door armrest to prevent the seat from being turned. Hopefully a thief would realise they won't be able to drive off.
Also, for additional security on the cab doors, I have two lengths of nylon cord, with a spring loaded dog lead clip on one end and loop on the other, which is fastened round the door handle and round the bottom seatbelt fixing on the door pillar, thus preventing the doors from being pulled open even if not locked.  I'd looked at a locking bar that clips inside the doors and goes across the cab seats, but it blocked the use of the seats while parked up.
On the habitation door I have a Fiamma security folding handle. On my previous van I also had another length of cord, as for the cab doors, which was looped through the inside door handle and through a handle inside the van to secure the door when inside. My current van doesn't have the inside handle so have to do without that now.
After a friend had his keys and wallet stolen while abroad (and had forgotten the spare set) I thought I'd take precautions. I bolted a digital key safe, with a 6 digit code (12 button options, not sure of the number of possible combinations), onto the chassis under the van. In this I keep spare keys for the Fiamma security lock and habitation door, and inside the van have a spare ignition key hidden away. So should I lose my keys I can still get in and drive away.
Also, as my spare wheel is accessed from outside the van, I have a steel cable cycle lock, to lock that up, to prevent it from being stolen. Breakdown services can only change a wheel, if you've got a spare.
When I bought the van it already had a tracker fitted and I've kept up the subscription for that. It also was registered with the Central Registration and Identification Scheme (CRiS) and is protected by the VIN chip police traceable scheme. This has two long range RFID chips hidden in the vehicle and several stickers around the vehicle with the VIN number on. Not an anti-theft device but allows the police to identify it. Also all the wheels have locking wheel nuts.
The most recent item is a large stick on registration on the roof, which again is not a deterrent but will allow the van to be picked up on ANPR cameras even if the proper plates are changed. This also came with seven mini stickers, which are located out of obvious sight around the van.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook